Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paint Help

973 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BlackARCA06 
#1 ·
ok so here is the deal basically i painted my front bumper with duplicolor spray paint....then i wet sanded with 600 grit...then i took scratch remover and buffed the paint with that....it helped but not enough...so i put a coat of was on it and it still looks dull....i need to know what to do to take all the sand marks and basically turn a flat finish into a high gloss...please help

#2 ·
first of all, using a spray can may not get the results you're looking for.

but, you need to sand with more steps. you are skipping steps in between. after your 600 paper you want to go to something more like 800, then 1000 then maybe 1500, then 2000 then 3000 then you can use buffing compounds or polish or scratch remover.

You're trying to take too big of a step and it won't work that way.

#4 ·
see haha...i know it wont give me the best results but i did it just to try...rather than me dropping 100$ to get it painted...its an ss bumper i bought of ebay a while back...needed repaired and i did that....just thought hey if i can do this with spray paint i can save some money....hey if it doesnt work im out what 14 bucks...lol....i had sanded all the overspray marks...i have 1500 grit paper i was gonna use tomorrow....so basically need to sand everything with 600 then 800 then im gonna go to 1500 cause i need to make sure i dont sand off all the paint...lol

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

i have a spray gun i might get one stage and spray it

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

idk what do you guys think....is it worth the work to sand and what not...or should i just go get a quart of paint and paint it...or take it and get it done

#6 ·
Did you scuff up the bumper with sand paper before you painted it? and spray paint wasnt a good choice. sorry you shoulda had it painted. Ive seen spray paint paint jobs go bad and its a pain to fix. Did you try clear coating it?

And just wet sand with 1500 and buff.

#8 ·
not sure. you'll also need reducer for the paint. and then clear coat, and hardener for the clear. little bit spendy but should be cheaper than having a body shop do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.