Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

06CobaltLS Newbie Intro

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  balt0man5 
#1 · (Edited)
I just purchased my first Cobalt on Monday. Its an 2006 LS 2.2 5speed car, with 67k got it for 5k. So far so good! Here are some pics:

I am currently taking off the stripes, but as you can see from the pic, its being difficult, mostly because winter has finally struck down here in SC.

Anyways, a lil back story, I was originally going to trade my 1997 30th anniversary Z28 Camaro for this cobalt. The Z28 had an LT4 engine, 6speed, and lots of upgrades. The old girl is a ground pounding beast, but since I started my Mechanical Engineering internship and still go to school Im driving 500+ miles a week so even though the Z28 was getting 23MPG with me using the hell out of 6th gear and coasting it just wasn't good enough.
But, the trade didn't work out so I said hell with it and got $5k and bought it anyways. So far I am pleased but I have come across a few issues.

First off, why is this thing only getting 31.3 mpg hwy cruising 55mpg-60mph? I just checked tire pressure; 45psi front, 30psi rear. Idk why its set to that but I plan on correcting that tomorrow. What do you guys think is optimal psi for tires for mpg and not too bad of a rough ride? I also took out the spare tire and jack to see if that would help. So far the only mods I can detect are a muffler was installed. (DC muffler brand? I cant remember, doesn't sound that bad but is kinda loud especially cruising at 60 @2300rpms.

Also, check engine light was on and I got the code P0420? Cat Deficiency? 67k miles and bad cat? Seriously? Any ideas on this one fellas?

Oh yeah, here are some pics of my Z28, hell of a difference form driving it to this Cobalt lol.

See less See more
#3 ·
So far I have tried a blow drier and it works decent, I just think I tried it on the coldest day possible. Also noticed paint is somewhat two different shades from where I peeled off the rear.. Great, Im going to try a good wax n polish, maybe even a buff to see if i can get it to match up somewhat.

#6 ·
Welcome to the site!

#9 ·
#11 ·
Yea your best bet it to probably buff the car since the paint under the stripes isn't exposed to the elements as the rest of the car and u just might have to do it every once in a while but then again maybe not depends on how long the stripes were on and your best bet is to wait till it gets warmer out or find some one with a heated garage to let the car get warmer trust me once the metal is warm enough the stripes will come off easier but a heat gun also works better cause it get hotter than a hair dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.