Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweeter Question

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  CobaCobaltLT 
#1 ·
would it be possible to just splice in twitters to each door speaker if they have a negative and positive and have them sticking on the pillars where the dash is, or how hard would be to do this? i used the search feature but I want my tweeters to look stock

#5 ·
You can't just splice into the speaker output without a crossover unless your tweeter already has it built-in.

#7 ·
Usually with tweeters it's at least a capacitor, this filters low frequencies and lets only the high intended frequencies pass. This stops harmonic frequencies from bottoming and damaging the tweeter voice coil and rendering it useless.

#8 ·
Don't some speakers have tweeters built in?

I have some kickers, I can hear tweet and base from them they have a tiny tweeter on the front and the main speaker behind. Seems to work, unless I'm mistaken.

If this was the case, couldn't you just splice it in with the front speakers?

So the question is, what speakers do you have exactly? (model number, photo)

#9 ·
Redirect Notice
thats the google image of the speakers i have in the door, i just want to add speakers to the pillars so that its better quality sound all around, i like my music i guess ahahha just wondering if i could and what would i need to do it

#10 ·
Now we know it appears your speakers have tweeters included, I would assume it should be OK to simply splice in, but wait for Coby to confirm as he know much more about this.

#12 · (Edited)
Nope. You see the signal sent to the front speakers is a full audio spectrum. The crossovers are built in. Tweeters need to be at ear height to perform at their best.

This site explains it pretty simply.
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=52

#13 ·
But would the tweeter signal still be sent to the tweeter part of the speaker, because although the tweeters are not ear height, they still sounds pretty good for me on mine.

#14 · (Edited)
Tweeters in the door is better than none but it's just that high frequencies are more directional than bass. That's why the opposite is true, bass you can put in the trunk and you can still hear it. Also why higher end systems have tweeters about side mirror level and slightly pointed upwards and towards occupants.

#16 · (Edited)
Not without some sort of crossover no.

A tweeter will play sounds from 5KHz up but 95% of the energy in music is below that. If you apply a full audio spectrum to a tweeter the energy that the tweeter can't react to turns into heat. With enough heat you get smoke, and since we all know electronic works on smoke because as soon as the smoke comes out it don't work no more.:sad2:

A simple capacitor is sufficient for this because you don't need to worry about the higher frequencies than 20K anyways, so you don't need a band pass crossover like a mid-range would. Now depending on your tweeter impedance and which frequency you want to eliminate, this will determine the value of the inline capacitor required. If you want a higher Q filter then you will have to get your calculator out to figure out what arrangement of capacitors and coils is needed to produce the amount of db reduction per octave that you want. Or you could go to you local sound store and they will figure it out for you ,for a fee, or sell you what you need.

#17 ·
i probably do the last option...im getting infinity tweeters so i don't wanna screw them up, so ill prob go to the nearest audio shop and ask them what i will need thank coby

#19 ·
you have tweeters built into your speaker. To simply splice into your current speaker wire you would need to A. have a tweeter with built in crossover or B. Have a cross over. With out that you would get garbage sound from them as the sound would be unfiltered. To achieve the high freq sound you want from tweets get ya need a crossover. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent set of components. Youll love yourself forever.

#20 ·
i already know i have tweeters in my speakers....i want to add an extra set up by the columns so its an overall better sound system, so it doesn't sound like the music coming from below me. its more surrounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.