Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt in Snow

13K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Blackbalts 
#1 ·
Greetings guys,
I know its been a while but I just had to inquire about how your car handles i nthe snow. mine did a 360 the other day on the highway because of snow and i wasnt even going fast it was just slush on the road .I contemplating getting a subaru but i am not ready to give up on my cobalt ls just yet. So give me some advice, are snow tires worth the money? or does the car simply just suck in the snow in general. or is there something else i could do to improve its handling in snow terrain.

Buttarz

#2 ·
Snow tires , the name says it all. We've had over 5 feet of snow in february my daughter has the Cobalt and she put on 1200 miles in february. She had no problems and she's a girl.

#3 ·
Buy a set of snow tires. I made the mistake of not having mine ready soon enough this year and I thought I was going to die more than once. Since my tires have been back on it's smooth sailing, even in terrible weather.

In short, the same properties that make summers good in warm weather make them bad in cold and snowy conditions, and vice versa.

#4 ·
See the rims and tires on in my pic....Still the same rims and tires driving up and down the snow filled hills of North Dakota. Some advice all season tires, the driver is the main cause of the car either being stuck, struck or going places. These tires have about 30xxx miles and rims are still like new

#7 ·
some people dont have anywhere to put summer tires/wheels aside

#8 ·
Thats true^^

I hated changing my tires so just got all season since I could get them for my rims. BTW some tire places will try to jip you and say that they'res no tires except low profiles for rims, happened to me. Went to another tire place and got some nice all seasons $400 fitted, balanced and replaced.

#10 ·
If you get 2 snow tires make sure they put them on the front. Yes, I have seen tire places put them on the back of a FWD car. When I worked in a garage I had a customer argue with me when I put his snow tires on the front. I don't remember what car it was, but it was a FWD Chevy. He then apologized and said every other year they put them on the back. haha.

#11 ·
Well there are two theories there. If I only had two winter tires I would put them in the back for sure. In a panic breaking situation it will stop your car from coming around on you. If you can't drive off with your front tires you won't endanger other peoples lives. 4 winter tires is a must.

#12 ·
I was in Dallas a few year ago during a winter rain. Patchy ice formed on the roads and there were many spinouts and accidents. It seemed to me that there was very little response from the city and many drivers were unfamiliar with those driving conditions.

Some drivers and locals may not be as responsive to ice and snow road conditions.

#13 ·
What everyone before me said. In summary:

1. snow tires are awesome. All seasons don't even come close.
2. Don't go cheap and get only 2. You'll still end up in a guard rail. 4 wheels = 4 tires.
3. Blizzaks. Blizzaks. Blizzaks.

#14 ·
Take it slow, I've got low rolling resistance all seasons on my Cobalt and I've never lost control of the vehicle. Just last night I drove home after 5 hours of rain..then sleet...then snow. Plows had cleared the road once, but there was at least 3 inches of slushy snow everywhere. My normal 35 minute drive home took 70 minutes.

#15 ·
blizzaks aren't what they used to be btw. I worked for bridgestone so I have first hand knowledge of their garbage product. Best tires they have are the blizzak and the transforce. Still they don't compare to most other tire manufacturers.

#16 ·
Hankook I*pike

#18 ·
well let me add something here..

I've been driving a camaro for a week that GM loaned me, it has summer tires.(I got pix if ya doubting)

we got a foot of snow today and I still managed to drive this thing down a country road with no issues, left the TC on and was careful the whole way and had no issues.

now if I can drive that RWD pig through half a foot of snow on summer tires you can for sure drive your FWD car through normal winters on all season tires, just be a littler more careful, no need to go spending money on another car.

My usual car, a 2006 SS cobalt on snow tires is fanTASTIC in the snow, never had an issue, hell, I got it out of a 2 ft snow drift after a bad storm at work, cobalt's are great in the snow (+100pts for manual), just go get some snow tires and you'll be doing just fine.

#19 ·
been driving in MN my whole life. Although I know winter tires are definitely preferred they are not required. I currently drive on crappy all seasons with about half a year worth of tread left and have had no issues. Driver mod is equally important in this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.