Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P0171-Running Too Lean Bank 1

36K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Coby7 
#1 ·
I have a 06 cobalt 2.2 lt there are no modifications done.
I posted about this about a year ago on the issue.
Still trying to find the problem.
When the code pops up the drivability of the car is poor, it stumbles upon acceleration. Usually the only time the code pops up is when i get on it.
I have cleaned the maf, i have checked for vaccum leaks, replaced the fuel filter.
I was reading online the likely causes of this code.
-Fuel injectors
-o2 sensors
-or fuel pump which is a recall on certain cobalts. I have a letter from the dealer about it.

My only problem right now is i am nowhere near a gm/chevy dealer to get that fixed. I have had the car for two years and the same code pops up at random.

I have noticed over the last couple of months i have been getting a fuel odor but i haven't seen any gas leaking underneath the car.

And from what i was reading fuel odors can come from any one of those three items i listed.

Is there anyone out there that knows of a common problem with this code?
Right now i am leaning towards the front o2 sensor. But i would like some advice before i make my decision.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well if you are under the recall, I would suggest taking a day trip or weekend if it's too far and going to the nearest dealership. The work would be free to you and if it doesn't work, hey you got a new fuel pump. That would be my first step anyway, then try to knock out the next likely cause.

#3 ·
Possible that your o2 sensor is just bad and is reading lean which is forcing the engine to run rich as faq. Get the pump replaced first, then possibly look into replacing the o2 sensor (OEM only). Shouldn't be an issue with your injectors, but you could run some cleaner through to possibly rule that out.

#4 ·
Thats kind of what i was thinking.
Going on vacation 4-6 hours away.
Assuming i have no problems thus far, should the car be ok to take on this drive there and back? It just scares me a little is all, because my tcm went out last year. But i believe it had nothing to do with this.

#5 ·
If it is indeed your sensor it's just throwing the code, nothing is acutally wrong. You could stop at any automotive place and have the code removed and continue on. If it's the fuel pump it could technically fail at any moment.

#7 ·
Restrict your intake with duct tape until you don't get the code anymore.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Or maybe just adding a HYDRO sheild would be the perfect amount of restriction needed to eliminate the P0171 lean code.

I don't have shares in the company. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.