AVG MPG Data - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Smile AVG MPG Data

I am also on another car forum site, and they pay some attention to the millage the members get. So, for the ones interested they might have the year/model of their cars listed by their name/avatar AND their current avg mpg. I have been on many forums on this site and so far I really have not seen much attention paid to gas mileage. One of the main reasons I bought my 2009 Cobalt XFE was for the high mileage it got. Currently I get almost 46 avg mpg, and have posted the pic of my odometer here showing this a few times already.

It's cool to have a good looking and fast car, but these cars are also capable of mileage that will give the more expensive Hybrids a run for their money as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Forum God

Garage
2006 w/ 20 mpg...grrrr

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Expert

18 but im allways in traffic... and i drive like a ****

Doesnt even look like this anymore but im still gonna keep this because its sweet

08' 2door Lt special Edition

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Remember those hybrids cost almost twice as much as our cars and have NO POWER anyway. On recent highway trips thos Prius hybrids couldnt even keep up with traffic goin 70mph.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Admin

Garage
I was pretty surprised to see how good the gas mileage was on the XFE's
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
I was pretty surprised to see how good the gas mileage was on the XFE's
I admit I use some hypermiling tips, which is mostly cruising in Neutral whenever possible without slowing down very much. My record high is 45.7 AVG MPG, and that is for the first few months of driving the car.

As far as I can tell it will still go about 0 to 60 in 8 seconds flat in 2nd gear and still can go well over 100mph, it's all in how you drive these things. I rather have this than a hybrid at twice the price.- I drive 1/2 in the city and 1/2 in 55 MPH zones in the foot hills. The 70MPH interstates knocks it down to closer to 42mpg, and in the city if I stop for more than 30 seconds I tend to turn off the motor. Oil is going up right now, so we can look forward to paying more for gas soon- imho.

This is the gas mileage I got without ever resetting the meter. Right now I am down to about 44 and 1/2 as cold weather is creeping in. I have to watch my tire pressure as the colder it gets the less pressure the tires have, and I try to keep 40 ppsi in them (44 is the max) while Chevy says 30 ppsi is best, the mileage gets a bit of a boost with a few more pounds in the tires, which is fine as long as the wear stays even.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnscobalt View Post
Remember those hybrids cost almost twice as much as our cars and have NO POWER anyway. On recent highway trips thos Prius hybrids couldnt even keep up with traffic goin 70mph.
It very well could be the driver did not wish to go that fast. Many of the hypermilers I know value MPG over power and speed. They often will go about 60 in a 70 zone because it saves them gas. But the smart ones don't go too slow because they realize how dangerous going too slow in a 70 zone can be- BAMM! -Safety first as they say.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
average 27.2 city, 35+ highway

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributor

I haven't reset my average in a while and I looked at it this morning and it said 28 point something. I do mostly city driving.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Smile MPG AVG Doing Over 90-95MPH!

I have just got done with TONS of 70 MPH PLUS Driving. In fact, before I knew it I was moving over 90MPH on the right lane of I 64!!!! I QUICKLY SLOWED DOWN AS MY BIRD DOG WAS BARKING (CB Radio slang: Radar Detector had picked up police radar to my rear!) - These little cars drive so smoothly that its very hard to tell when your going 90MPH!! Wow I'm sure glad I had that Valentine One and CB in the car!! Honestly I found myself pushing 100MPH several times on this trip while I used my Valentine One and CB Radio on Ch: 19 for "Bear reports", together they are a match hard to beat!

So Over the past week I discovered the sheer POWER of these little Cobalt XFES! They do great! 100MPH is easy to reach with very little sweat. Going at these speeds I got a steady average of 36MPG (Tank was reset upon refill), I reset the gauge upon hitting the highway. For going over 95MPH in certain locations, and an average of nearly 85mph I'll take 36MPG any day of the week!! At home I can drive it more carefully and use hypermilling tips to bring her back up to 45-46mpg again.

I love this car. You get out of it what you put into it. If you want a hotRod, you got one. If you want a Prius beater, then you can give them one heck of a run for their money as well. It's PERFECT!! I do not condone driving 100MPH plus. But it is always nice to know one has a car that can do it in case of a medical emergency! I have little doubt it could hit 120MPH UNLESS a CHIP or the privacy invader: ONSTAR slows down the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode