Max MPG Tips #3- Blow It Out - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Max MPG Tips #3- Blow It Out

Historically the biggest danger to cars that are driven to max mpg has always been the build up of carbon. These cars are typically not driven in a manner that keeps the carbon from building up in the engine and exhaust system. It's the granny car syndrome. A car that is driven slowly and gently can begin to build up carbon deposits in the EGR system, the muffler, and the catalytic converter. These carbon deposits pile up over time and can be the death of a car.

How do you drive a car for max mpg yet keep it cleaned out? Blow it out.

This is a very unscientific process to be repeated every three or four months based on every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. It's very simple.

1. Drive max mpg as normal up to the 1/4 mark on the fuel gauge. Write down your avg mpg result at that point like you normally would at fuel up.

2. Switch your display OFF of your instant mpg setting. Why? Well, the rest of this tank does not count.

3. Drive in an aggressive manner the rest of the tank. I say aggressive because if you drive for max mpg your idea of aggressive is everyone else's idea of normal. You want hard acceleration up to speed, jackrabbit starts, etc. The purpose is to literally blow the built up carbon out of the tail pipe.

4. Refuel and go back to your max mpg driving. You will take a hit on your fuel range when you fill up again, but it's worth it to make sure that you keep that exhaust system clear. A plugged cat can be very expensive, and damage an engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
lol I definitely shouldnt have that problem. When I'm on the highway I hypermile, but on the streets its nothing but full- 3/4 throttle starts and whatnot, my tailpipe should be squeaky clean . Good to know Will.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Or you could seafoam it every couple of months and save the gas....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Forum Regular

^^ that is what i was thinking; i mean isn't there a way u could hand clean it or something? I guess how u would clean a chimney or any other pipe?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeck View Post
Or you could seafoam it every couple of months and save the gas....
Very true. I used to use it all the time, but I am not sure of the long term effects on the Cobalt's motor or exhaust system. That and if it did cause harm how would you explain it when you took it in for warranty work?

It seems to be that this way is just easier.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Garage
Seafoam doesn't hurt anything. Would you mind if i asked where you got the info from the first post? Carbon buildup is just that. It takes a little more than some aggressive driving to clean it out.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeck View Post
Seafoam doesn't hurt anything. Would you mind if i asked where you got the info from the first post? Carbon buildup is just that. It takes a little more than some aggressive driving to clean it out.
No problem. It's an old school method. My father was an ASE Certified Master Mechanic until he retired a few years ago. I also double checked with the one real ASE Cert. mechanic we have at our local stealership, and he says the same thing, although he says he has never seen evidence of carbon buildup in a Cobalt. He has never seen one hypermiled either, so his info is a little shaky.

Periodic aggressive driving is not meant to clean it out. It's meant to keep it clean. If there was already a problem with carbon build up this process will not fix it, it's meant to keep a problem from starting.

In return, would you mind if I asked you where you get that Seafoam is harmless to the cobalt? I mean, yes, I concede that it is harmless to older cars, but most all of us still have powertrain warranties. I am sure people thinking of using it would like an assurance it would not cause warranty complications.

Last edited by Will mpg; 02-07-2010 at 03:26 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Forum Regular

whats wrong with seafoam? It's good stuff, I used it on all my cars.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I did not say anything was wrong with it. I just asked a question about it's use on cars under warranty.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Garage
It doesn't do anything that voids a warranty. I guess you would have to clarify your question. that would be like saying Chevron fuels with Techron would void your warranty because they claim to clean the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode