Cheap Yet Efficent Ways to Get More MPG - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cheap Yet Efficent Ways to Get More MPG

I don't know a lot about cars, but I would really like to know what I can do to get more MPG, I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, LT? I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Welcome, but:

lol

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
drive better

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Newcomer

Garage
first, use the right gas, i own a 06 cobalt ls, i have learn. buy gas that is all gas no eth, i get better miles per gallon when i use that. i hope this helps you
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
^^^ Those links are the best places to start. In fact read everything you can in the mpg section and ask questions.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You said you think your balt is an LT... Do you have an auto or 5 speed? Power door locks? Does it say LS,LT,XFE,SS, or anything else on the trunk?

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Forum Regular

I don't believe the ethanol is the cause of low gas mileage. The fact that too much can cause problems is true, but only a small percentage is unlikely. In fact the ethanol is a clean burner, and burns longer. It cleans the engine so the gas moves freely. So the small amount of ethanol in the gas is actually helping.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Contributor

I think here in Jersey they're mixing in 10% ethanol (E10). I think one of the reasons is that it's an oxygenate and it replaces MTBE which was causing problems with groundwater contamination. Compared with gasoline, ethanol contains less energy per unit and so you'd think you'd see a hit in mileage but I didn't notice a difference or maybe it's that the difference was very small. My understanding is that ethanol helps to clean the cars fuel line and fuel injectors and absorbs moisture in the gas tank. There's been problems reported with ethanol in gas powered boat engines because of its water absorbing properties. I guess boat gas tanks typically contain allot more water.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
I think here in Jersey they're mixing in 10% ethanol (E10). I think one of the reasons is that it's an oxygenate and it replaces MTBE which was causing problems with groundwater contamination. Compared with gasoline, ethanol contains less energy per unit and so you'd think you'd see a hit in mileage but I didn't notice a difference or maybe it's that the difference was very small. My understanding is that ethanol helps to clean the cars fuel line and fuel injectors and absorbs moisture in the gas tank. There's been problems reported with ethanol in gas powered boat engines because of its water absorbing properties. I guess boat gas tanks typically contain allot more water.
Yes the problem with boats is they they are driven on the water, so hence water absorbtion and damage. The ethanol is alcohol so it cleans and burns longer in the combustion process.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Compared with gasoline, ethanol contains less energy per unit and so you'd think you'd see a hit in mileage but I didn't notice a difference or maybe it's that the difference was very small.
This is correct. The more ethanol that is in gas the lower your mpg will be. There is a massive amount of testing data out there to prove this.

So, why ethanol? E10 is 10% less gasoline, but does not lower your mpg by 10%. The average drop in mpg with E10 is only about 5%. Many consider this worth while to burn 10% less gas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode