LRR Tires for MPG - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
LRR Tires for MPG

Goodyear and Michelin have both developed new LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires in an effort to be greener.

The original OEM LRR tire was found on the 1st generation Honda Insight (2000-2005). It relied on a harder high carbon content design that traded a lot of ride comfort and handling for mpg. The tires were also very expensive, and most of the 18,000 original insights no longer have these tires, as they are special ordered from Honda now.

The Goodyear Integrity (stock to the Cobalt XFE) was an early version of a new philosophy. This was to have a LRR tire with the same handling characteristics or normal street tires. The Integrity was a purpose design venture between GM and Goodyear for the new Cobalt XFE. The venture was successful enough that the Integrity became a widely available tire in most all OEM sizes.

Goodyear and Michelin have now produces two new tires that take this idea even further.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

Both of these tires did very well during testing as you can see by the "testing" link on each one, but the Michelin did better.

I, however, like the Goodyear better for the price, and for the higher max. psi. I feel that if inflated to the max sidewall the Goodyear will do better at 50 psi than the Michelin does with it's 44 psi max, which is the same as the Integrity.

Last edited by Will mpg; 04-14-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Sorry...but these Goodyear Intergrity's SUCK!

just saying...IMO...

But for MPG's im sure they are great...

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I agree. I had a lot of problems with them this year. They are good for mpg, but have been bested in mpg and performance by the two new options from the top post. I will be changing mine to the Assurance Fuel Max. soon.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Forum Regular

How much longer till you get new tires?

I'm at 39k with the Intergrity's that came with it and it's looking like I'll be needing a new set by 45 - 50k miles. Sometime before next winter probably.

Was looking at the Michelin's at first because of the 7% increase in fuel efficiency over the Intergrity's and that they beat out the Goodyear's in their test.
What I hadn't realised is that they probably tested them at 32 psi and not sidewall max. That extra 7 psi would probably help out the Goodyear's a lot.
Not to mention the Goodyear's a quite a bit cheaper and have a treadwear rating 100 higher then the Michelin's.

Make sure you keep us up to date with how they work out when you get them.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I am not too far off from needing new ones. I just rolled 48,000 miles. The front two were changed for some crap tires before I bought the car, and I still have the Integrity tires on the rear. I am thinking that I will prob replace them all. It will most likely be during the summer. When I get them I will post up any results I see.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
i have michellin hydroedge with green technology and they are a pretty decent stock tire, good compromise between fuel economy and handling. Only problem is that my car put down more whp than the tires can handle, at least from a full throttle launch. They do great in the rain too

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Will, if you wouldn't mind doing a couple of runs with your current tires so that you have something to compare them to when you get your new tires.

I would assume that at 50 mph on the flat, tires at sidewall max, and it being around 70 degrees outside you should be getting around 46 - 48 mpg.

Granted I don't know what type of tires you have up front and that can play a rather large role in what mpg your getting so I guessed a little lower then what I got in my
A - B - A tests I did the other week.
That reminds me I need to post those results.

Hopefully break in period on your new tires isn't that long. I've heard a lot of people will get worse gas mileage for the first several hundred or even a couple thousand miles till they are broken in.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
You are right on with your estimation of my current mpg, the only thing is that I live in Tennessee, so the only flat thing here is a dinner plate.

That said, I will still do some A-B-A on it, and a little more followup after a good break in period. I may actually get the tires on my next trip to Indiana in June. This will give them 600 miles on the way back home. That should provide plenty of break in period.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
I purchased my new LRR tires this weekend. They were on the 100 best innovations of the year in 2009 from Popular Science, and I can see why.

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

I got the set in a stock 195 65 R15. I bought them for $94 each from the local Goodyear service center, and they came with free rotation, balance, and alignment checks for the life of the tire.

I had a choice of air or nitrogen when buying them, and of course I chose air. I have no desire to put nitrogen in my tires.

So far I am very impressed with them over the integrity tire. Road noise is significantly reduced, while the car itself seems more sure footed.

I am only at 30 psi right now, as I wanted to give them a couple of days to break in before I start running the pressure up. The sidewall max is 51 psi, but I will be going first to 40.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

Looking forward to hearing your results.
Will probably have mine put on after my next paycheck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode