Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Some MPG Advice

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Fr3AkAzOiD 
#1 ·
Ok I have an F150. I made 17mpg going to Ohio and back. This weekend I need to go from Indiana, PA to Pittsburgh, PA (65 miles). Then from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg, PA avoiding the turn pike (243 miles). I need to average 15 mpg while towing a car, trailer, and all my stuff. Any advice how I can do this?

#2 ·
Pump the truck and trailer tires up to just a few psi under sidwall max.

Go as slow as possible without getting run over. That trailer is going to act like a huge parachute and as you go faster it's drag on your truck will increase exponentially.

Avoid rush hour!

#4 ·
look at the sidewall on the tire camo. go just under the max rated pressure of the number on the tire.

and maybe you could cover the trailer with a tarp or plastic to get a more even air flow around it?

#5 ·
I'd set them to 4 - 6 psi under whatever the sidewall max is as when they warm up they will gain an additional 2 - 3 psi.

The tarp is a good idea but unless it was like one of the boat shrinkwraps it wouldn't be tight enough and would just flap around creating more drag then without it.

If it's an open top car carrier as long as the trailer tires are pumped up you should be good.

If you have a pic that would help if this is something you do frequently.

#7 ·
Oh, and don't put the tail gate down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.