Getting Good Fuel Range on Long Straights? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Getting Good Fuel Range on Long Straights?

SO yeah goin down a long straight country road, how would I achieve maximum fuel range? I know you dont stay on the gas, should I leave it in 5th at 80Km/hr and just kinda give it a little throttle here and there coast, throttle, coast etc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoElsupremo View Post
SO yeah goin down a long straight country road, how would I achieve maximum fuel range? I know you dont stay on the gas, should I leave it in 5th at 80Km/hr and just kinda give it a little throttle here and there coast, throttle, coast etc?
getting on and off the throttle will make your MPG's worse. just stay at a set normal speed like 55mph or 95km/h, or the speed limit.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's

Last edited by BlackARCA06; 12-11-2010 at 09:13 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Contributor

I go 55mph on straight roads and average 29.9 ATM

#Winning

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The technique you are referring to is known as "Pulse and Glide." It is a very successful, and advanced, hypermiling technique. Yes, it works. VERY WELL.

Overly simplified if you get 10 mpg while accelerating and 100 mpg while coasting you can easily get 60 mpg overall.

I have not gotten much into it on this forum, as it is an advanced technique, and one that I do not employ because I think it's hard on the drivetrain.

You will find a lot more information on it on Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

One word of warning... DO NOT PULSE AND GLIDE IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. That's a good way to end up replacing a tranny PDQ.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
The technique you are referring to is known as "Pulse and Glide." It is a very successful, and advanced, hypermiling technique. Yes, it works. VERY WELL.

Overly simplified if you get 10 mpg while accelerating and 100 mpg while coasting you can easily get 60 mpg overall.

I have not gotten much into it on this forum, as it is an advanced technique, and one that I do not employ because I think it's hard on the drivetrain.

You will find a lot more information on it on Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

One word of warning... DO NOT PULSE AND GLIDE IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. That's a good way to end up replacing a tranny PDQ.
Yea I knew not to do that with auto's but wasn't sure with manuels, thanks for correcting me.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular

I ran a couple tests on my car (75F flat with three two way runs with each style of driving) with pulse and glyde and actualy got worse mpg doing P&G (45 - 55mph) (47 mpg) then staying a steady 50 mph (49 mpg).

However doing EOC P&G which is where you pulse up to 55 and then shut your engine off and then bump start it when it drops down to between 40 and 45 will give you much improved mpg (58 mpg).

HOWEVER as stated above by Willmpg it is advanced hypermiling and has things that you need to be aware of such as....never do with an automatic transmission, once your car is powered down you will lose power steering. You will be able to steer, it will just be heavier and MUCH heavier at speeds lower then 20 mph. Also you will only have a small reservoir built up in your brakes. It would be enough for two or three uses and could bring your car to a stop on the flat from 40 mph easily but the car needs to be restarted to regain power brakes. You could hold yourself at a stop on an incline without power brakes but I would never put myself in a situation where I would need to stop without power brakes even if only from 10 mph. You also need to know how to properly bump start without causing damage to the engine or clutch/transmission.
I do not do it frequently and pick opportunities carefully, I also had practice doing bump starts on a previous car that I new was getting replaced soon and had 200k+ miles on it so I didn't care. I would not recomend learning bump starts on a brand new car.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
well, I dont bump 'n start... dont even know what that is but....

as for the pulse and glide thing; I dont hammer the gas and then turn it off, but I'd say I'm on a long country road to my house, and its an 80Km speed limit, I'll accel(gradually) to 90 and then let it coast back down to 80 or whatever, seemed to work really really well.

See heres the thing is that my house is on a long ass country road back from town, so I can practice this stuff, and since doing the lesser "pulse but not shut the engine off and glide" I've been getting much better mpg.

I've been meesing around lately with MPG testing, its actually a lot of fun to make a game of it

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I could not agree more, and although there a a lot of different techniques, the only way to figure out what works best for you is by doing the exact kind of experimentation you are talking about.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
I could not agree more, and although there a a lot of different techniques, the only way to figure out what works best for you is by doing the exact kind of experimentation you are talking about.
hey will ever thought of putting some rear wheel covers on your cobalt? lol that website has some neet stuff on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode