How Much Do Wider Tires Hurt Gas Mileage? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

How Much Do Wider Tires Hurt Gas Mileage?

i have been looking for ways to improve my mileage and i think i have done close to everything you can do without modding the car. now im still looking for some more mileage so my next thing is skinny tires. but how much do they help? i have 195's on my car now but if a 205 would hurt gas mileage then i would just stick with a 195, i personally like the look of a little wider tires. what about them fuel saver tires, do they even work. i usually just get a tire that have a good tire wear on them and will last a while.

as fas as i know this is about the last thing i can do to my car to try to improve mileage other than modding it but from what i read alot of that stuff dont really work that well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Newcomer

I didn't notice a change in gas milage until I put 245/40r/18s on then it went down like 5 or so.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular

I went from the oem Goodyears to Michelin Energy Saver A/S and gained a good 3 mpg.

Now about tire width, the tire compound and tread pattern makes more of a difference then changing tire width by 10mm. Now going from 195 to 245 and you will lose mpg.

If you want to go to a slightly wider tire like a 205 that is fine as long as you get a better low rolling resistant tire.
Check tirerack.com, they have a list of LRR tires and have run mpg tests on them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

yea i would say your right, 10mm isnt really that much more although im sure it could affect the mileage to a certain extent. it sounds like the energy saver tires might be well worth the investment also. thanks for the info.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Forum Regular

I'm thinking about energy saver tires when the time comes.Seeing that the casing is broke in one of my tires, that might come soon. Looking at the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Stock is 205/50/17 (102.5mm sidewall). The closest size that Michelin has is 225/50/ (112.5mm sidewall). Hum... does being a little wider and a little taller make them worth it? That 20mm will throw the speedo and odometer off a little so... my numbers will end up being off. Can't win... The tires are highly rated though -

The Michelin Energy Saver and Primacy HP tires have been awarded the highest rating in tests conducted by the German Automobile Association (ADAC), Europe's largest auto club. Both tires recieved a "highly recommendable" rating, a distinction that has been awarded to 85% of the summer car tires produced by the Michelin Group.

Carried out by ADAC and its Austrian and
Swiss counterparts - Osterreichischer Automobil Motorrad und Touring Club (OAMTC) and Touring Club Suisse (TCS) - the comparative test involved eighteen different 185/60R14 H tires and nineteen 205/55R16 W tires.

Performance was measured in five major areas: dry grip, wet grip, fuel consumption, longevity and comfort (including noise). The overall three-star rating awarded to the MICHELIN ENERGY™ Saver and Primacy HP reflects the two tire's excellent performance in each of the categories. among the tires awarded three stars, the two Michelin tires recieved the highest scores in terms of longitivity and fuel efficency, demonstrating their superiority in helping to reduce operating cost.

The results of the ADAC tests reflect te validity of the Michelin Group's approach to technology, which consists of simultaneously improving different areas of tire performance. And herein lies the strength of Michelin's capcity for innovation--its ability to deliver the highest levels of energy efficiency, safety and longevity in a single tire. The latest tests demonstrated that the MICHELIN ENERGY™ Saver and Primacy HP tires fully reflect the Michelin brand's strategy, which is to provide all users with safe, sustainable mobility.

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Forum Regular

Since the Energy Savers don't come in your size you would probably want to look into the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 as they ranked second in mpg for their tests and do come in the correct size.

I didn't really check them out when I got my tires but have heard some good things.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out! At one time I didn't care about gas mileage. It was all about eating up a 1/4 mile as fast as possible. Now, it doesn't matter how long it takes to cover a distance, I like watching mileage improve and it saves me money too.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Contributor

How much per tire are we talking about for either of these two brand tires??
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Tirerack has quite a bit of fluctuation in it's prices, I usualy look them up and then bookmark them and check back frequently.

What may be $450 for a set one week may be $410 with a $40 mail in rebate a few weeks later.

Also Tirerack has deals with some installers, so what would normaly be like $25 per tire mounting and balancing may only be like $18 if you let them know you got them from Tirerack.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

right now they are $388, thats too bad really. ill have to see if my local tire shop can get these tires, he mounts and ballances for free if you buy off him. i am kind of likeing these tires especially if they can get me around 3 mpg more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode