What is Going On???? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

What is Going On????

New to the forum and hope to get as much info here as I can. I have a 2006 Chevy cobalt LT and I fell there might be a problem with my MPG and the reading of how much fuel I have. When I fill up my gas tank and check to see how much fuel is in the car after the pump clicks off, its just below the full mark. I have to keep clicking it on and of a few times to get it all the way to full. After filling till full, it only takes about 14 miles to get the needle to move from full to about a 1/8th of a tank gone. I do mostly city driving and I get about 200-250 miles out of a tank. I have changed plugs and wires, air filter, fuel filter and run Lucas fuel treatment in it every month it just seems like something is wrong. I have read about how much everyone is getting per tank and it just does not match up. I do have some buzzing noise from the rear of the car like its the fuel pump. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? And would the fuel pump be going out and if so would this affect fuel mileage? Thank you Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Wouldn't affect fuel mileage. Most people that get better mileage have a combined city highway routine. If your city only you might be closer to your numbers. Take it out for a highway run, reset your average and cruise at 60 for 10 or 20 miles. Then and only then can you compare apples with apples.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

Okay well first tip don't use the Lucas anymore, ppl say it helps but it really doesn't do anything if you keep using it, your just wasting your money, and it could actually hinder your fuel economy if you continuously use it, and the buzzing of I'm hearing you correctly is just the fuel pump running, but If it's not the normal buzzing then maybe it's time to replace that too, how many miles are on your balt?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

K&N 69 series typhoon CAI, D2 2" lowering springs, de-badged rear, front black chevy bow tie, halo projector headlights, borla catback with a resonator delete, ss turbo recaro seats, swapped black interior, custom painted interior trim

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Its not a normal buzz, its more of a pulsating buzz, 91,000 miles, and some times if the car sits for about a day, you try to start it for the first time and its like if the fuel system lost its prime and give it like a dry hard start.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
If the pump or fuel filter has not been changed one of them could be needing it. You get what I used to get to a tank of gas but mine was an SS/SC with a lot more power and I would romp it on it here and there for the fun factor.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode