500+ Miles From One Tank? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
All about MPG All about maximizing your Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

500+ Miles From One Tank?

My normal driving usually produces about 30-31 MPG. The average readout on the DIC is usually within a half MPG of what I hand calculate. I always fill it to the rim so it's the same each time. Lately, I've been doing more highway driving than city/country road. When I fill out, the miles until empty have been going from an average of high 300s to low 400s. This week, I've done a lot of highway driving. When I filled up today, it miles until empty started at 426 which is the highest I've seen. From there, I had another 45 highway miles to go until I got home. I kept watching the number go higher and higher. By the time I got home, I had traveled 44 miles and the miles to empty said 456. I've never seen it that high! That would put me right at the 500 mile mark if I stretched it to almost empty. Yes, I was driving it nice. Light on the throttle, about 63 MPH on the highway, alternating between cruise on and off.

I know, there are a few people here that would consider this bad mileage for their car. I don't know how they do it! Actually, I'm thinking they are on mostly 45-50 MPH roads, no stop and go and tail winds no matter where they are

Seeing that this was the highest mileage that I've every seen in a car that I've owned. I took a few pictures. No real mods done to the car. I've just blocked the lower grill area and tires are inflated to 49 psi. I doubt these things have made that much of a difference.

This -

after traveling this far -

and seeing this for average MPG -

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Staff Alumni

How do you have almost 100km and still above full?

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I drove slow? I was at about 93 miles before the needle was almost off of the full line. I fill it to the rim so there is probably close to an extra gallon there. Plus, the needle tends to move slower during the first half of the tank. Moves faster from 1/2 to empty.

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Staff Alumni

Man I wish mine was like tht. Stupid automatic:(
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Staff Alumni

Mine moves super slow for the last three quarters. Top quarter is gone in 100km highway. I was told not to fill to the rim because of the charcoal box getting messed up?

I only fill mine til it clicks off

2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
I was told not to fill to the rim because of the charcoal box getting messed up?

I only fill mine til it clicks off
yeah i used to fill up to the rim, then my step dad had to replace his entire tank because he kept doing it and some sensor went bad and his car wouldnt start until he got a whole new tank.

['10 LT 2.2, 15% Tint, Blue LED Dome and Trunk lights, Kenwood 252U, 2 12" Kicker Comps,Delinte D7 Thunder tires, 18in NR10's, Eibach Sportlines, Fe5 Shocks and Struts, Moog Endlinks, ZZP Catback, ZZP Stage 3 Turbo Kit, 8000K HID Halo's,Painted Emblems, Blacked out tailights]

Visit My Showoff!:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...burnie-md.html
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 AM
Staff Alumni

Most I've seen on one tank is 650km and that's almost all hwy

20/25 imp mpg
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriggs92 View Post
Man I wish mine was like tht. Stupid automatic:(
Mine's an auto also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltftw View Post
yeah i used to fill up to the rim, then my step dad had to replace his entire tank because he kept doing it and some sensor went bad and his car wouldnt start until he got a whole new tank.
I've heard some people say not to fill it to the rim but I always have to to get a pretty accurate MPG reading. And while on road trips to go as far as I can without having to fill out. Less "pit stops" equal getting to the destination sooner.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by massguy View Post
I've heard some people say not to fill it to the rim but I always have to to get a pretty accurate MPG reading. And while on road trips to go as far as I can without having to fill out. Less "pit stops" equal getting to the destination sooner.
very true^^

['10 LT 2.2, 15% Tint, Blue LED Dome and Trunk lights, Kenwood 252U, 2 12" Kicker Comps,Delinte D7 Thunder tires, 18in NR10's, Eibach Sportlines, Fe5 Shocks and Struts, Moog Endlinks, ZZP Catback, ZZP Stage 3 Turbo Kit, 8000K HID Halo's,Painted Emblems, Blacked out tailights]

Visit My Showoff!:
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...burnie-md.html
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I'm currently getting 38.1 also. 90% of my driving is in a 55mph zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode