2005 Cobalt HEadunit - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to ccsulax
2005 Cobalt HEadunit

Hi I am looking to replace the head unit in my '05 coupe. I want to be sure I don't lose all the functions of my DIC. Any help would be great. I keep getting told there is no way to install a new radio. Thanks for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsulax View Post
Hi I am looking to replace the head unit in my '05 coupe. I want to be sure I don't lose all the functions of my DIC. Any help would be great. I keep getting told there is no way to install a new radio. Thanks for you help.
you can install a new radio i did it in my 06 cobalt with no problems and it sounds great so who ever tellin you that is not straight on his facts

2006 chevy cobalt rally yellow 2.2' aftermarket Cold air intake, Tenzo type R type 2 muffler, Body kit, 2 12'inch Treo TE subwoofer 2400 kenwood class D amp, 600 watt kenwood four channel amp, kenwood excelon x792 cd player, Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X1300, aftermarket Rims
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

You can install an aftermarket radio. You just need the wiring harness. It will run you about 100 bucks.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

where would I be able to find the harness? Is it a specific one that I would need? Thanks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Just go to a local audio shop and ask them what all you need. They will have the mounts, harness and its usually only 40 bucks to just have them install it. I could do it myself but its worth it to me to just let them do it.

OBZ's showoff thread!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributor

BEST BUY also performs audio installations at most locations. They have harnesses and dask kits for sale.

2007 LT 2.2
MODS:
GMPP Air Intake * GMPP Extrude Honed Manifold * GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust * Vibrant D/P * Jet Stage 2 Module
MOBIL 1 Synthetic Oil * DC Sport Strut Tower Brace * Color Matched Mirror Covers * EuroAntenna * 30-15 3M FX Tinting
Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS on Premium Wheels

Future MODS:
2.4 Intake Manifold Conversion * 2.4 TB * TUNE
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Newcomer

I thought that with the 05 Cobalt you have to relocate the factory radio to the trunk and keep it installed in order for an aftermarket radio to work. Although my boss had an 05 colorado and he said all he had to do was set the radio to the settings he wanted before he uninstalled it and replaced it with an aftermarket unit. I don't know if this same thing applys to the cobalt but that's my 2 cents.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the radio from my car and all everything continued to work fine. I called crutch field and they said I would have to purchase the dash kit that relocated the DIC to a new LCD below the radio. Also that I would lose my factory amp and sub. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks,
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodges26 View Post
you can install a new radio i did it in my 06 cobalt with no problems and it sounds great so who ever tellin you that is not straight on his facts

hey how did you get the new radio to fit, for me im trying to install a a sony cdx gt630ui and it dosent have enough clearance behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsulax View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the radio from my car and all everything continued to work fine. I called crutch field and they said I would have to purchase the dash kit that relocated the DIC to a new LCD below the radio. Also that I would lose my factory amp and sub. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks,
u have a 05 right, and the lcd is to the left of the radio, correct.

i have an 06, and the harness i got was GMCO2L11, i know its expensive, but it was easy to install, just turn the switch to chimes off. every thing work like before, but like above, i just cant get the radio to fit, its really pissing me off.

Last edited by d4rlp3nc1l; 03-25-2009 at 08:42 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rlp3nc1l View Post
hey how did you get the new radio to fit, for me im trying to install a a sony cdx gt630ui and it dosent have enough clearance behind it.
You have to cut out a little plate back there. I had the same issue

OBZ's showoff thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode