Need advice on sub! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Need advice on sub!

Hey I need some help.

My sister has a 4 door 2006 Cobalt with the premium pioneer audio setup. I got a 2007 2door LT. It has the stock setup. My sister said that I could take her sub because she does not want it.

Here is my question.
Can I transfer the sub from her car to mine and how difficult would it be? Would it sound decent???

Thanks any input/advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Smile Sub

Yes you can swap it over. I have an LS sedan and got the sub off of Ebay and had Circuit City wire it to a 150 watt amp. It actually sounds better than a coworkers facroty 7 speaker setup. If you do any sub install Dynomat the truck first for an even better sound quality. Many people dont do that and that is why it sounds like the windows are about to rattle out of the car.
But yes you can put the Pioneer sub in a model not equipped. You will have to get her bolts to mount the speaker in your trunk. And a tip to install the nuts, get a foot long piece of hose the same inside diameter of the nut and put the nut in the hose to start threading, then you can use a deep well socket to tighten the nut.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

How much s this dynammo stuff. And Can I wire it my self? Well I guess I can just take it out and copy the wiring.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Thumbs up Sub

Guess I misspelled it. FOr good sound you need to use Dynamat. It is a sound deadening materail that is adhesive. You take out the trucnk carpet and clean the metal and lay the Dynamat down. Depening on where you can find it, a trunk kit will cost about 150-200. I used 3 kits of the Extreme Dynamat door kits that I got from a "surplus" stor e in my town. But Dynamat is easy and does not have to be 100 percent perfect since it will be under your trunk carpet. But well worth the extra money either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode