Advice: 2006 wo/AUX to 2007 w/AUX - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Advice: 2006 wo/AUX to 2007 w/AUX

Hey guys,

So not to long ago I asked on here if I could swap out my 2006 OEM Radio without AUX for a 2007 OEM Radio with AUX. I bought a 2007 radio off of PLUR13 and got it yesterday. Today I took apart the dash and everything to find the wiring harness is different. The radio itself appears to be physically able to fix and be alright, but I'm afraid of how to hook it up. Below are pictures of the back of both radios....

2006 Radio (blue):

2007 Radio (black):

My question is, if I cut up my current harness in my car and get the connector for the 2007 radio to manually wire it back together, do you think I'll lose my steering wheel controls? So basically I cut off my car's end of the wiring harness and rewire on a 2007 connector (that plugs into the radio itself). Or... do I have any other options? I GOTTA have my steering wheel controls. ha

Edit:
Also, as a side note. My car only uses the left side of the radio connector. So if you look at the picture of the 2006 radio, just the left side (you'll see a divider) is being used WITH steering wheel controls.

Last edited by Jake06LT; 04-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Newcomer

I'm not 100% sure, but I am fairly confident that if you switch the radio you will end up loosing the steering wheel controls.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I went by my local dealer the other day and ran all this by one of the tech's. He said they could relearn the VIN, so that wouldn't be a problem. He said however, that if I did hardwire it in (which is what I'd have to do) that I could get the steering controls to work. But, in 2007 they took away some of the controls (like band and 1-6 presets), so I for sure wouldn't have those features working.

I think I'll just do without the AUX input for now, even though I'd REALLY like to have it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to nanesnj
see, likely you will get it to work..... w.o loosing a thing... but its gunna take you hours of trying conections to make sure they're the right ones.... I did it with my 05 just because i liked the feature of the radio turning off only when the door was open or after 10 mins... but like a say i took me sometime and alots of multimeter work to find ONE cable !!!

R6 Componet Kickers front speakers, 6x9 4way XPLOD rear speakers... Kickers Comps 12in SUBS, 4ch Hifonics ZEUS Amp. 18" Wheels. SPECTRE CAI , Full set of INTERIORS NEONS.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode