Amp location help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Amp location help

My daughter has asked me to install a sub and amp into her 2007 Cobalt. I plan to install the amp in the trunk, but the sub box is such that there is no way to get all four mounting tabs of the amp (Sony XM-ZR1252) onto the box. I am looking for an alternate location to mount the amp that won't be too much in the way of using what's left of the trunk. What have others here done? I'd rather not fasten it to the back of the folding seats, either, although I have seen that done in another post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

jeff wahat about douing to the back of the box? if you can get atleast two screws into the bottom you would be good
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

There are two connection points on the back of the box. One for the speakers, and one for the lights. The location and size of these connection ports prevent me from placing the amp on the back of the box as I had planned. If I move the amp upwards, it sticks up too far and won't slide into the trunk. This amp is stupidly long and wide for its power output, in my opinion.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Forum Regular

the top maybe or you could possibly mount to the deck lid idk how easy that would be
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Deck lid sounds interesting, although I wonder how the heat would dissipate up there. The top of the sub box, nor its sides are a possibility, however.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to burksdb Send a message via Skype™ to burksdb
could you not attach the wires to the box and then mount the amp over them, thats what we did on my friends rx-8, granted the ports were pushed back a little
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I hadn't thought of that - that might be a good option, especially since I did buy rubber standoffs to help isolate the amp from the vibrations to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burksdb View Post
could you not attach the wires to the box and then mount the amp over them, thats what we did on my friends rx-8, granted the ports were pushed back a little
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to burksdb Send a message via Skype™ to burksdb
that would be the only besides the top of the box depending on how big it is. i'm getting rdy to put an amp in my balt, just something simple a L5 kicker 12" and a 1000 watt rockford
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

Kickers ftw!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
I have heard that attaching the amp to the sub box is a bad idea. I guess that the vibrations from the subs that are felt on the box can be damaging to an amp. I personally have had no problems when I had amps attached to the box but to be on the safe side I have my amps attached to the back of the rear seats

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode