Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stock door speaker peek power?

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  hutch87 
#1 ·
I just installed a Pioneer Avh-P4100Dvd in dash head unit and i was wondering what the stock door speakers peek power is.

They sound pretty good at a resonable volume but once i turn them up they start to loose it.

Also any reconmendations for new door speakers?

Thanks Guys:bigsmile:

#2 ·
Any factory system has relatively low power handling ability. I would say you've exceeded the amount of power they can handle as soon as you installed an aftermarket head unit.

The only thing I can recommend is that you go some stores and listen to different speakers. Find what you like, whatever is pleasing to your taste. Some people like more bass in speakers, some like highs. You're the only one who can decide what you like...don't worry how good of a brand it is. Just decide what you like and if you can afford/want to spend the amount of those speakers.

The fronts are 6.5 and the rears are 6x9. I don't believe you'll have to worry about mounting depth.

#7 ·
a good cheap speaker to look into is street edge... it's a memphis entry level speaker that take a beatin a freind of mine has some hooked to a 500 watt amp and no problems and they sound awesome... i know at the audio shop here it was like 35 fro the front and 50 for the rear

#11 ·
an amp is not mandatory i had an amp cuz it's a show car that i did alot of sound comps with and i needed to make an impact with clarity as well was loudness if you dont plan on spending some money i recomend not even bothering with the amp

#12 ·
SQ > SPL for sure.

Anyway, as stated by that07balt...you don't need an amp. I checked your head unit and the RMS power is 14w. The peak (which really doesn't matter in my opinion) is 50w.

I would recommend looking at the following brands (these are the ones I like): Boston Acoustics, Focal, JL Audio, Polk Audio, Memphis. There are a couple others that I like, but this is the main list.

I have a set of 6.75" Polk db675 speakers that are wonderful. I only used them for a little while in my old Saturn. I replaced them with a pair of Rockford Fosgate speakers that I loved. I can't remember the model, but it's a line that they haven't made for more than 6 years now. The old school Rockford were some of the best for the money in my opinion.

Most speakers you are looking at will perform great with just the power off the head unit. If you do look at 4-channel amps down the road, then look at something in the 40-80w per channel range...most speakers will take that range of power with no problems...you don't need to max out a speaker by matching it watt for watt.

#14 ·
it takes the load off your deck beefs up the signal and then sends it on its merry little way to year ears. depends on what kind of deck you have. you could get a deck that has RCA high med and low then you just run the rca's from the deck to the amp and then speaker wire from amp to speakers or if you have component you run it to the crossover to the speaker/tweeter or if you have you 3-way just from deck to amp to speaker just depends on what you want and what you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.