Receivers and Amps - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Receivers and Amps

I like the factory radio in my 09 Cobalt Sedan and I am adding a 10" sub woofer with an Alpine amp that is due in today. I notices in my old S-10 pick-up when I switched out the factory radio with a Pioneer aftermarket. so I could get iPod hook-up, the sound was immediately better even without a sub woofer that I added later. I assume this is due to the fact that the Pioneer Radio had more RMS watts outputted to the speakers.

Could this same thing be accomplished by adding a separate amp to power the four Cobalt speakers and keeping the factory radio? Of course I would probably upgrade the speakers first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Expert

yes but i would buy a new head unit personally there not expensive and worth the money for all the control's that you have to the speakers

ballin outta control in a camo balt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by that07balt View Post
yes but i would buy a new head unit personally there not expensive and worth the money for all the control's that you have to the speakers
I think I could get an amp cheaper than a head unit. I have the radio with the USB and auxiliary port with iPod control. It also is an XM radio and bluetooth. I would probably spend more money trying to get this content and also keep all the steering wheel controls and make it look good.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Expert

ehh dint think about the steering wheel controll's mine's base model... and i do alot of show's on top of racing so yah for show's stock is a no bueno.

ballin outta control in a camo balt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Veteran

It goes both ways...it's the signal the head unit sends out (the electronics are much better in an aftermarket) and the power that you get from either the internal amp of a head unit or an external amp.

In other words, you are going to notice a difference either way you go, but you'll notice the biggest difference if you do both.

If you are going to keep the factory head unit, let me know how you hook it up. Normally for a mono amp you would use a rear speaker for the signal by using a line out converter. With a multi-channel amp, I don't know where you'll get signal. A stock head unit doesn't have the RCA hookups in the back (red and white plugs). So you'll be getting the signal from the speakers, then powering the speakers?

-Mike
|07' LS Sedan|Ultra Silver|Auto|MTX X Thunderlink|Debadged|35% Tint|Sportlines|Injen CAI|ARK Antenna|ARK STB| OTTP "Street" bar|Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 205-60-15|Hawk PC pads|PowerSlot Slotted rotors|

Not installed yet: Pacesetter Header|Exhaust Depot DP|LSJ Cat-Back|Injen Hydroshield|MSR 045 18x8 Black w/ Red Pinstripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode