Subwoofer Factory Radio question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Subwoofer Factory Radio question

I am going to try and hook a 10" subwoofer up in my LS sedan today with the factory radio and an Alpine mono amp. I bought a down converter from Best Buy and it has inputs for both right and left channels. Do I pull the signal from both back speakers or do I just pull from one? I am trying to follow the how-to on this and it is not real clear to me.

Also, in the how-to it says to pull the back seat. Why would I do that when everything is in the trunk? I know I have to run a blue wire up to the fuse box but everything else can be attached in the trunk, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Now I'm looking at the amp and I didn't even need the down converter from Best Buy because the amp has a connection for line level speaker inputs using the wires directly from the speakers. It has 2 sets of wires for both a right and left channel and then one set of outputs to the subwoofer. So I am headed up to Autozone right now to buy some speaker wire and stuff to get started.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Well I ended up buying a sub hook-up kit at Best Buy because I wasn't sure I knew what all to get. I had bit's and pieces from my son's left over stuff but this way I new I had everything I needed. I did have to make one trip to the hardware store to get some bigger gauge but connectors. Once I got those things went smooth.

I hooked up the blue remote wire to the wiper fuse as suggested. That turns on the sub only when the car is started - not when just the acc is on. I guess that's a good thing so you don't run down the battery. The Alpine amp really kicks it out. I started with the gain at 50% but ended up turning it down because it was way too loud. I might have a few more tweaks to make but so far it's much better than that 4" Bazooka Sub I had in the S-10.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributor

if you hook it up with that then the subwoofer might be tempted into playing all the range that the rear speakers is playing, the converter just takes the bass signal and sends it to the amp to be sent to the sub.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Yes but the amp has 3 controls on it - Gain, Base Equalizer and setting the crossover frequency. So I can adjust what the sub woofer gets with that. I did end up using the down converter since I had it. The how-to says to adjust your sound with the down converter but it doesn't say how. It looks like there are two little slots on the opposite side of the RCA inputs. I would have to use a very small screw driver to turn them if that's what they are but I'm not sure what they would do. They are not labeled.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Well after tweaking and playing with my new 10" sub woofer and the 500 watt Alpine amp on the factory radio with my 09 LT Sedan, I am disappointed in the sound. The sub woofer can knock my socks off but I want the whole system to sound good not blow out my windows. I guess I am going to have to go with an aftermarket receiver with a sub preamp output to get a better sound. I will probably have to replace the factory speakers also. For what I want to do, a radio is going to end up costing me 800 to 900 bucks if I install it myself and I buy it through Crutchfield and keep the same setup I have now. I want a radio with RDS, XM, Bluetooth and a USB port and iPod ready. I also need a steering wheel control cable and another control cable to keep OnStar and the door chimes.

The cheaper radios don't have RDS that I really like. So I priced out a DVD radio that had all the features and it would run me about $850 from Crutchfield with all the accessories. I guess I'll start saving.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CobaltKatsu Send a message via MSN to CobaltKatsu
Lol, I just hooked up my subs to the stock deck, splicing wires and everything!

2008 Silver LS, 2.2L, 18" wheels, Airbox Mod Rockford Fosgate 10s', Stock Deck, 20% Tint, 10k HIDs, Tsudo N-1, Megan Racing Coilovers
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Forum Regular

me too! i have a 12'' rockford sub and a 600 w amp with a factory head, it sounds so good. im not trying to blow windows out or anything but it hits hard and clean. i have a 2006 ls coupe and my factory speakers sound good. once again not excelent, but pretty damn good. if youre really into car audio go all out, but like dondiego said it gets pricey.

2006 LS coupe, tint, 18'' DR9 wheels, Eibach Sportlines, 12'' rockford sub w/600w rockford comp amp, alarm and so much more to come.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Veteran

Garage
I can't wait to put my 2 12" Alpine type x's in there and blow glass out of cars!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Forum Regular

I am probably going with 1 12" sub (I dont want to blow out windows I think those people are obnoxious) but more than that I am excited to get 2 tweeters up front. with the sub makes 7 speakers total, all ran through the factory head unit with a line-out converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode