No radio controls on steering wheel - EVER! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

No radio controls on steering wheel - EVER!

Greetings !
Bought my 18 yo an 07 Cobalt LS. It was a dealer demo and had a about 10,000 miles on it and for a base car it was in nice shape. Of course having an 18 yo, there are bound to be upgrades. So I got rid of the hard original LS steering wheel and replaced it with (I think) an 07 LT with buttons for volume up and down, radio station up and down, cruise control and bluetooth (as well as the original 2 buttons that basically cycles thru trip a, b, oil life, coolant temp, total mileage and engine temp.

Now having worked on MANY cars (mostly foreign) it's been my experience that the manufacturer puts the wiring in there, installs the cheaper steering wheel and away it goes - but with the extra wiring just waiting for someone to come along and do an upgrade to the steering wheel.

Not so with our friendly 07 Cobalt. I truly appears that Chevy created 3 lines, one for the LS, or for the LT and one (which sorta makes sense) for the SS.
But being the clever fellow I am, I thought well, let me call Crutchfield and see what they say. I bought for a mere $700 a new headunit that is my lads dream come true. In addition to a touch screen GPS with voice recognition, blue tooth, a rear camera, a CD AND a DVD player (which only plays when the car is in part( and if any his wise ass friends do an override, which I can do too, he'll be biking to school again), it has an ipod and a uSB 2.0 port. I also bought something from a company called PAC that makes a remote access control, BUT apparently since the harness didnt have the necessary wiring for the control, it would install..

So my long winded question is IS THERE ANY WAY (short of buying a new harness to connect the headunit or more specifically the PAC SWI JAC, or anything else. My only goal is to keep his eyes on the road while he's changing the audio or station. He got caught texting once while driving and lost his driving privileges for a week..He'll either not get caught (thought I can find out on line when he's texting) of not do that again. I'd rather him be pi$$ed the embalmed.

But back to the question at hand, can any one..maybe a prior GM engineer know the wiring I could use to make it work. I even downloaded the 07 radio controls 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Car Radio Stereo Wiring Diagram, back I'm no engineer and I cant make heads or tails of it.

Now for my sympathy play..I'm going in for bypass surgery on 9/9 and then being forced to retire after 35 years at IBM. While I get a pension, it's worth about a 3rd, so if there's a way to do this without buying a $500 harness, PLEASE let me know..

Thank you much, in advance,

Ed in Metuchen, NJ 08840
easiest way to reach me is ed colandra (one word) at GMAIL dot COM. I write it that way to keep the damn spam sniffers away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Newcomer

I have a '05 Cobalt LT Sedan and I installed the peripheral adapter to my Clarion deck. making my steering wheel controls functional with my deck. It was like $70 and I installed it myself. It is a worth while investment because you can safely adjust the volume and whatnot with out taking your eyes off the road.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Forum God

I have a PAC swi jac that I'm selling. Very cheap

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Forum God

Oh brand new too

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Newcomer

I want to do a similar steering wheel swap for the convenience and the smoothness of a leather-wrap wheel, but I have a stock head unit with no plans to upgrade at the moment. Is there an easy way to connect the two? Crutchfield says the PAC swi jack will not work with my stock headunit. Any ideas guys?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I am just about to return the PAC SWI Jack to Crutchfield because according to them it wont work with the BRAND NEW CLARION NZ409. If someone has gotten it to work can you please educate me..i would LOVE to have it work so my youngster would keep his eyes on the road. Question: Does it use the non-working buttons on the upgraded steering wheel I bought (thinking that the wiring would be there if I installed the steering wheelm- duh), or do you mount a seperate volume control..? Please reply ASAP, I only have about a week to return it and I have to pay a restocking fee because getting it out of the plastic required the use of a hacksaw... Thanks ED in NJ

PS the one I ordered was the 127SWIJACK PAC SWI-JACK JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface

PPS. I had a PRO installer set this up for me and even he gave up so if there is a way (and I GOTTA believe there is a way, one shy of ripping out the harness from a wreck with a fully functional steering wheel..someone MUST have engineered a work around for the other buttons too ie, the Cruise Contol, Bluetooth, up and down volume and station..)
A genius engineer in outr midst perhaps?
ED in NJ

Last edited by jpcnj; 09-08-2009 at 09:17 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Tell me more please

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_paiste View Post
I have a '05 Cobalt LT Sedan and I installed the peripheral adapter to my Clarion deck. making my steering wheel controls functional with my deck. It was like $70 and I installed it myself. It is a worth while investment because you can safely adjust the volume and whatnot with out taking your eyes off the road.
I'd appreciate hearing from you how you got it to work. I am just about ready to send my adapter back to Crutchfield (also attached to a clarion deck).

What kind of adapter did you use and where did you get it..?

Thanks
ED
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailcesar75 View Post
I have a PAC swi jac that I'm selling. Very cheap
I bought one new from Crutchfield when I upgraded the HU to a Clarion but my installer (who is as close to a pimp my ride tech crew as I have ever seen) could not get it to work..even after talking to Crutchfield on the phone.

If someone has a way to make it work (trick, secret, magic), I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode