ok i have a question concerning the wiring harness? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

ok i have a question concerning the wiring harness?

i am looking into geting an aftermarket stereo for my car o7 ls no onstar or any wheel controls besides dic do i need the expensive wiring harness or is there something else i can do and keep door chimes and blinker sounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

if you buy an aftermarket head unit, they give you the right wiring harness to go with it..then its just a matter of matching the colored wires together with the factory harness and plugging it back in..

you will still have everything you just mentioned.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddaayy View Post
if you buy an aftermarket head unit, they give you the right wiring harness to go with it..then its just a matter of matching the colored wires together with the factory harness and plugging it back in..
I am not so sure about that. I thought all of our warning chimes were routed throught the factory head unit. I think the harness the op is talking about is the integration harness that allows for that to still happen when an aftermarket stereo is installed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Forum God

you dont NEED a harness. Ive done some head units with em and some without. its cheaper without but you need a wiring diagram because none of the colors will match up
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

true. But as anoying as the chimes are I prefer having them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Forum God

me too. they go off for a reason
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

exactly
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Forum God

the chimes are routed farther down as fas as I'm concerned. If the deck doesnt come with a harness that matches up (plug and play style), you can grAB ONE AT BESTBUY FOR LIKE $10-15 SOMETIMES LESS. oops stupid caps lock. Or you can just look at the wiring diagrams and match them up like that but it's much more of a hassle with all the wire cutting etc. I have a double din it came with a harness so it was no problem for me but thats on my civic ill see when i get my cobalt next week.

*EDIT* picked up expensive wiring harness today. Need it for the chimes and most of the time airbags as well. Don't take any chances get the good harness.

Last edited by BboyTaktix; 10-26-2009 at 10:30 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CoffinTramp
I got the expensive harness, and now have dueling chimes... No idea why. Good luck though.

has basically dropped off the face of the planet... moved and still havent had internet installed at the new place
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Forum God

OK so i've done my research for you, and I just also bought the expensive harness and all the other equipment needed. came up to like $165.00 for the harness, antenna adaptor and the mount kit on crutchfield. If you don't get the special harness, the door chimes AND airbags will not function properly so just spend a little more money and get the good stuff. I believe the reason why you have a diffrent chime now coffintramp is because what the expensive harness does is has its own type of chime which is supposed to replace the factory chime. P.S. How did the install go? long? i'm guessing with the right harness and equipment should be a no-brainer, ive done afew cars Cant wait to do mine!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode