No Sound - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to youthminguy
No Sound

alright, so i have a pioneer in dash double din dvd head unit. I also have have aftermarket kicker speakers up front and the stock 6x9's in back. sometimes when i start my car up theres no sound though. the head unit has power, but nothing is going to the speakers. i'll turn off the head unit, wait like 10 minutes and then turn it back on and all of a sudden there's sound. It doesn't always happen though, but it happens more often when its cold outside. I'm thinking that it could be my battery isn't strong enough, what do you guys think? i didn't install the head unit, best buy did. But i also have footwell LED's, so i'm wondering if i just have to much draw on my battery. IDK though, i'm baffled by this. anybody have any ideas?

'08 coupe special edition, blue bowties, red streetglow footwell LED's, red razo race pedals, custom build SRI, pioneer avh-p3100dvd headunit, shorty antenna, Kicker 07DS600 speakers, cobalt 3rd brake light decal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Forum God

Garage
So u don't know if it's directly connected to the battery?

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
i looked at the wiring, and it looked like all was done right. there's one wire thats supposed to be attached to a constant power source, then the other attaches to an ignition fuse. both were there. thats what doesn't make sense. also that the head unit itself has power, and everything functions, just not the sound.
BTW the headunit doesn't work when the car is off, so it is wired correctly to an ignition switch. i'm wondering if i just got a bum head unit, or should i buy a yellow top battery or something more powerful?

'08 coupe special edition, blue bowties, red streetglow footwell LED's, red razo race pedals, custom build SRI, pioneer avh-p3100dvd headunit, shorty antenna, Kicker 07DS600 speakers, cobalt 3rd brake light decal

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Forum God

Garage
Check back with Best Buy. I'm no audio guy so iono

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Veteran

do you have an amp installed? check all your speaker connections....if best buy did the install take that back to em they outta fix it......maybe you have a short? lots of ifs when it comes to car audio.....could be just a crappy HU not a fan of pioneer very "lower grade" as opposed to other units...keep us posted but take it to best buy the installer should know what the issue is
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
kk i'll do that this week i have off for thanksgiving. and no, i dont have an amp. bump for any other ideas? i have to bring my car in for some other work to the dealer already next week, i'd rather not have to lose it for yet another day.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Veteran

could be your HU maybe it just needs to "warm up" idk dude good luck
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Expert

Garage
well if you had an amp I would say its drawing too much power and think about getting a relay... But without it I'm out of opinions :(
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
wire it up without running and hiding the wires and all that, just take out the headunit, power it up, connect the speaker DIRECTLY to the headunit and see if you have power, also check the radio settings

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
^^^ i could see doing that if i never had any sound. but it does work eventually, and sometimes right off the bat. the fact it mostly does it while it is cold seems to me that it implies a battery situation more than just the wiring. It didn't start happening until it first started to get cold out. idk i guess i'll have to take it back to best buy. unless there's some more ideas out there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode