Going for a 8.3 System - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Going for a 8.3 System

Alright, as wierd as that may sound, yesterday i went out and bought myself some nice Kicker 6.5's and 6x9's, and i'm going to use them to replace my current pioneer ones. I was talking to my friend and came to the conclusion "ya know what, instead of getting rid of those speakers, why not add them to my trunk (where i got 2 subwoofers to go along with the one i got from the pioneer system) to get better sound quality when the lid is open". so that's where i'm at, im still not 100% and im looking for input.

My 'Balt, Camryn, is my baby. She's a black '09 LT 2.2L with the performance appearance package. I believe that if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
Currently: Predator Pedals, GM logos gone, blacked out bowties, green interior neons, green LEDGlow, 2x 12" Kicker L7's subwoofer, kicker speakers, Pioneer avic f700bt, Konig Unkown's (17's), Tints

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Forum God

go ahead and do it if you like to pop the trunk at shows and stuff. But make sure you get an amp or two so that all your speakers will have good quality sound, cuz if not you'll be pulling a lot from the head unit and won't get great quality. I would like to do that eventually, I popped my trunk open camping last summer and we listened to some nice beats, it was fun! but i'll probably do other stuff long before I get to this project. For now I'm just gonna get 4 component speakers to replace my factory speakers, and connect them to an amp. It will give me more than enough sound!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Yeah its jus with 3 subs when my trunks open u can't hear the audio too well so instead of jus gettin rid of the speakers I'll reuse them

My 'Balt, Camryn, is my baby. She's a black '09 LT 2.2L with the performance appearance package. I believe that if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
Currently: Predator Pedals, GM logos gone, blacked out bowties, green interior neons, green LEDGlow, 2x 12" Kicker L7's subwoofer, kicker speakers, Pioneer avic f700bt, Konig Unkown's (17's), Tints

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp55 View Post
Yeah its jus with 3 subs when my trunks open u can't hear the audio too well so instead of jus gettin rid of the speakers I'll reuse them
Sounds like a plan. Will you use your factory amp for the 2 trunk speakers and get another 4-channel amp for the 4 new speakers you're putting in your car? man that cobalt must be damn heavy with all that audio equipment lol. I was gonna put 2 10'' subs along with my 2 12's I have now, but with 4 subs, 3 amps, a capacitor and component speakers, the added weight starts to get a bit excessive for me, cuz i also want to do engine mods, so imma keep it to 2 12's.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I talked to the carfi installer at work and he said that i should just be able to wire the trunk ones into the same wire i used when i ran a wire from the 6x9's into the line-out converter for the subs, so i figure i can try that and if not i'll get two small amps maybe, idk yet. i'm hoping it'll work wihtout more amps

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Forum God

Quote:
I talked to the carfi installer at work and he said that i should just be able to wire the trunk ones into the same wire i used when i ran a wire from the 6x9's into the line-out converter for the subs, so i figure i can try that and if not i'll get two small amps maybe, idk yet. i'm hoping it'll work wihtout more amps
it will work, of course, i have done it way back to test speakers and such. But it will split the power from those wires going to those speakers. Instead of having 2 speakers hooked up to one wire you'll have 4, causing more distortion at higher levels. But it will work.
If it were me, I would get one small amp at least for the 4 new speakers you put in, and take the stock speaker wiring directly from the head unit to plug into the trunk speakers(take the old wire from the 6x9's in the back and use it on the trunk speakers)
Let me know how the project goes!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Alright, so step 1 is done! today i spent a few hours and with some help from Cesar (Thanks bud) and my friend vinny, i got the stock speakers out and the Kickers in. Hopefully next weekend (along with installing my underglow) i'm going to cut the carpet over the 6x9's and put the Kicker faceplates there cuz they are sweet. Then, next step is going to be to get/build a box for the old speakers in my trunk so when i got the trunk open i can get some audio back there too. So this is kinda guna be the project's thread so if you like the idea or just wanna see how it turns out, this is where the updates will be.
PS- Pics coming tomorrow, cant find my cord for my camera. lol

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Alright, so step 1 is done! today i spent a few hours and with some help from Cesar (Thanks bud) and my friend vinny, i got the stock speakers out and the Kickers in. Hopefully next weekend (along with installing my underglow) i'm going to cut the carpet over the 6x9's and put the Kicker faceplates there cuz they are sweet. Then, next step is going to be to get/build a box for the old speakers in my trunk so when i got the trunk open i can get some audio back there too. So this is kinda guna be the project's thread so if you like the idea or just wanna see how it turns out, this is where the updates will be.
PS- Pics coming tomorrow, cant find my cord for my camera. lol
Sounds good, bud!
Ever thought about mounting the old speakers on the trunk lid? it may require a bit more work, but in my opinion, the best setup ever! eventually you could even put a cheap screen in the middle of the 2 speakers, which would look clean as hell! just an idea. I don't think it would be too differentt han building a box for them. Maybe a bit of extra fiberglass work but that's about it. Good luck and ya post them pics!
It snowed here this morning for the first time this year (a late first snow) something like 3-5 inches so far and still snowing. Which means bye bye modding the car until next summer, as my garage is full with my parents' new truck and their trailer. Owell, gives me time to save up for my projects! I'm looking at getting 4 component speakers and a good amp for them. My car's gonna be soooooo loud!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
lol nice. i was thinking about putting them on the lid but the speakers r ugly as hell so i dont want them that obvious

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Forum God

True BUT you could just make covers for them, and when you eventually upgrade them they will end up looking sweet as hell on the lid. But its up to you, i know sound system design is quite time consuming, contrary to what many people think. I love it though! Still thinking bout how I'm gonna set my trunk layout up. Post pics after your done!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode