Wiring Hanress/Deck/OMFG HELP! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation Wiring Hanress/Deck/OMFG HELP!

So I ordered a wiring harness/mounting kit/etc. on eBay. I don't give a sh!t about the chimes so it's just the wires not that little box thing. However, they sent me a red wire with it, which from my understand is the ignition wire. I was told by a local audio shop and Best Buy that I have to use a volt meter to tell what fuse that goes into and then run the wire through the dash into the car and connect it to the after market deck. But my friend thinks I can just skip all that and connect the deck directly to the battery. This is really pissing me off because after connecting all the wires and taping them off, the radio will turn on and play CDs and stuff but you won't hear anything. Also, none of my gauges worked while driving so we had to just pull the radio out when driving. Someone, in laymen's terms, please tell me what the hell to do!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Forum God

im not sure what you mean by just wires... do you have a link?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Veteran

never wire it directly to the battery...if you dont know how to use a volt meter stop what you are doing and get it professionally installed and your gauges probably aren't working because a hell of a lot more than just the chimes are wired into that harness..a buddy of mine hooked up the radio in his cavalier wrong and his fuel pump stopped working

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:48 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Clap View Post
never wire it directly to the battery...if you dont know how to use a volt meter stop what you are doing and get it professionally installed and your gauges probably aren't working because a hell of a lot more than just the chimes are wired into that harness..a buddy of mine hooked up the radio in his cavalier wrong and his fuel pump stopped working
^this, and what year is your cobalt? I bought a $129(CAD) harness off of crutchfield because my car is brand new and i wanted to do it PROPERLY. I did a DIY on installation and it is fairly easy to install IF you get the right harness. You shouldn't be hooking up your radio directly to the battery. It will stay on and drain your battery and you'll be screwed if you drive anywhere. The harness does more than just the chimes by the way. It's marked as 'dangerous not to install this harness' according to crutchfield, bestbuy, futureshop...and the list goes on. Most likely installers won't do it unless you have that harness...depending on what year your car is (mines 09).
Just spend the money, get the proper harness and then itll take you HALF the time to install, LESS money because you wont f*ck anything up or require a professional to fix your half-done install, and no headache. And ebay harnesses are not always very good, specially on our cars.

Of course, some ppl on here got away with using the stock harness, but i don't recommend it, and most of these peoples knew really well what they were doing etc.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Clap View Post
lol that kinda funny... uhhm i kinda had the same problem but my guage thing was a fuse.. but i cant really help yah out anywhere else cuz i've got a bunch of amps and never used the wiring harness.

ballin outta control in a camo balt
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

k

so i cant do it with the harness i got?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Forum God

You might be able to, if you really knew what you were doing, but I would not, especially considering the experience you may be lacking (I'm not trying to insult you in any way, it's just it isn't simple, and I doubt you want to f*ck anything up on your car) so I suggest either get it installed professionally, and see if they WILL install it using the harness you bought. If you want to do it yourself, or the installers won't install it using the harness you bought, go onto crutchfield.com, get the proper wiring harness (should be around $100-130), buy it from them OR look around for the same harness cheaper, and get it installed or follow my DIY somewhere on here and it will save you alot of trouble in the future.
I dunno what year yours is, but I believe for my cobalt, some airbag controls may be ran through the radio as well as other things, and yes, chimes are very useful when you accidentaly leave your lights on or you are about to lock your keys in your car.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

me n my friend ran it directly to the battery and to the speakers, no wiring harness used i just turn the radio off when i turn the car off and its all good.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronborcherdt View Post
me n my friend ran it directly to the battery and to the speakers, no wiring harness used i just turn the radio off when i turn the car off and its all good.
k then hope nothing f*cks up man. And that your battery doesnt get drained. Kinda annoying having to remember to turn the unit off. I love my harness, glad I bought it, it works just like the factory radio, very useful

So you also have to turn the radio on manually every time you get into the car?

Last edited by BboyTaktix; 12-01-2009 at 07:14 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ya but big deal that just takes a push of the power button and saves me a hundred sumthin dollars. fair trade IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode