Finally Adjusted My Sub Sound - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Finally Adjusted My Sub Sound

I installed a sub and an amp to the factory radio & factory speakers using a down converter and tapping into the rear speaker wire. I did this a while ago and have never been happy with the sound. No matter what I did, everything sounded muddy to me and I figured the only way to fix it was to drop the bucks on a new head unit with a sub amp output.

Then my son, who is studying audio engineering, came home for Thanksgiving and gave me a tip. I turned the base on the radio down to zero and raised up the mid and treble a few notches up from the midpoint. I then went in the trunk to my amp and cranked the gain to max. I turned on the radio and bumped up the base about 2 notches above 0. That gave me plenty of base out of the sub and reduced the base in the 4 factory speakers a lot and now they handle the mids and treble much better. The music sounds much more balanced and I'm liking the sound again. Why didn't I think of that

This should buy me some time before I spend the money on a new head unit. At least now I can live with it. I was getting bummed about it before this change.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to LSlowBalt
thank goodness your son is studing audio engineering. He saved you some $$$$$$$$$$$$$
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Contributor

yeah you saved money if you want the SAME sound all the time, thats why you need a head unit. i recommend a Pioneer P4000 double din, I have one and the sound customizations are unlimited. plus you can get the unit for around 300$ at some online places now I think, I paid 700$ for all the parts and installation.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Newcomer

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mwilliams1021 Send a message via Yahoo to mwilliams1021
Pioneer P4000 double din If i go with this can i still use my steering wheel controls when i buy that special adapter, and does your driver info center still work on the car you installed that on?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

I hopped in the Cobalt this morning and plugged in my iPod...no base. Turns out I blew a fuse. I guess cranking the gain in the amp all the way up wasn't a good idea. The fuse I blew is the 10 amp fuse I used on the fuse block to hook my blue wire up to. It is the Wiper fuse. Could I use the Radio 15 amp fuse for the blue wire instead?

I have an Alpine MRP-M500 mono subwoofer amp.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.

Last edited by dondiego; 12-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Forum God

nice. you will want to buy a new head unit eventually though. SO much of a difference. Got my whole system in today FINALLY!!! sounded great! g2 change them door speakers out for components though. The pioneer p4000 is a greeat head unit, look into that! great sound control, easy to use, very stylish! had it before it got stolen :( now i'm running a clarion max385vd, which has a nicer interface but a few minor programming design flaws. Overall I like it, but the p4000 was really a great head unit.

Dunno bout that fuse though. i got my amp's remote turn-on wire running into that same wiper fuse, we'll see if i blow it anytime soon.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
nice. you will want to buy a new head unit eventually though. SO much of a difference. Got my whole system in today FINALLY!!! sounded great! g2 change them door speakers out for components though. The pioneer p4000 is a greeat head unit, look into that! great sound control, easy to use, very stylish! had it before it got stolen :( now i'm running a clarion max385vd, which has a nicer interface but a few minor programming design flaws. Overall I like it, but the p4000 was really a great head unit.

Dunno bout that fuse though. i got my amp's remote turn-on wire running into that same wiper fuse, we'll see if i blow it anytime soon.
I plugged into the 15 amp RDO fuse and replaced the 10amp fuse. Weird, but when I had the RDO fuse pulled out the key fob did not work for the locks. So I figure the antenna for the key FOB is also connected to that fuse. Well, now my sub is also connected there and so far so good - sub is kicking out again and the windshield wipers work.

The problem with the aftermarket radio is I have Onstar, XM, iPod, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth for my phone and the door chimes are also connected to the factory radio. So it looks like I will probably stick with the factory for a while.

Last edited by dondiego; 12-06-2009 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Forum God

^Perfect. Good job!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Oops. That RDO fuse trick lasted until this morning. Power to that fuse does not turn off when the car is turned off. I killed the battery and the car wouldn't start this morning. So I pulled the wire and charged the battery, got it started and drove to work without my sub woofer. Just now I found a spare spot that the diagram said was a spot for a 20 amp fuse. I only has some spare 10 amp fuses so I stuck one of those in there with my amp blue wire. So far it's working and shuts off when the car is turned off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode