What Should I Look for when Buying Subwoofers/amp - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 248
What Should I Look for when Buying Subwoofers/amp

I have no expireance with this at all..... what should i look for wen buying subs and an amp, what amount of rms/wattage would be best for a pretty load bass to the point where i can feel it....

what size of speakers should i get and what wattage

all i really care about is bass and the feel of bass

what price range am i looking at and what should i look for wen buying these speakers??????
05c08a!t is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Cobalt Specialist


 
Nosfuratu9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,442
Garage
well what are your preferences? sound quality (SQ) or just balls out bass (SPL) and how much are you looking to spend? if you want just a little bit of bass then get something cheaper and possibly single voice coil.
Nosfuratu9 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
if you listen to rap and hip hop and like heavy bass go for 12 inch subs. if you like tight bass, or you listen to faster music like lots of dance/electronic, metal or rock, you<ll probably want a powerful 10 inch or two. I have two 12'' JBL's and they DESTROY. i love em. As for price, it really depends if you want to add a little bass to your music or have a bangin' system. Costa range from $500 to thousands of dollars for the whole setup.

You can either go with a single sub, which will save you some money, or go with two sub setup, but that gets expensive(unless you buy crappy equipment which i GUARANTEE will f*ck up in a month or two).

If you go for one sub setup, then you'll need a sub, a box for the sub, an amp for the sub, a wiring kit for the amp and sub, and probably you'll want to go with an aftermarket head unit. This could run you anywhere from $500-1000 depending on what brand and wattage of sub/amp you get. A 2 sub kit means a bigger amp, a bigger box for the two subs, usually a bit bigger wiring kit (not always) and more reason to go with aftermarket head unit.

I could go on for hours. PM me with more of what you are looking to get out of your system, and I can suggest some good brands and setups that would fit your budget and surely make your drive a happier one!
BboyTaktix is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
LSlowBalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Roaring Springs, PA
Posts: 1,429
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to LSlowBalt
Go to a store that just deals with car audio and take a look around and listen to duff set ups they have avail. Thats what I did. mine cost 1400 installed that was everything. Head unit, 2 X 12" subs, amp, wiring, front speakers, rear speakers, and the wiring that allows my info to still work with an aftermarket head unit. I think it was worth it.
LSlowBalt is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 248
hey bboy taktix, hit me up on yahoo because this b**ch wont let me send a pm yet email [email protected]
05c08a!t is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
if you listen to rap and hip hop and like heavy bass go for 12 inch subs. if you like tight bass, or you listen to faster music like lots of dance/electronic, metal or rock, you<ll probably want a powerful 10 inch or two. I have two 12'' JBL's and they DESTROY. i love em. As for price, it really depends if you want to add a little bass to your music or have a bangin' system. Costa range from $500 to thousands of dollars for the whole setup.

You can either go with a single sub, which will save you some money, or go with two sub setup, but that gets expensive(unless you buy crappy equipment which i GUARANTEE will f*ck up in a month or two).

If you go for one sub setup, then you'll need a sub, a box for the sub, an amp for the sub, a wiring kit for the amp and sub, and probably you'll want to go with an aftermarket head unit. This could run you anywhere from $500-1000 depending on what brand and wattage of sub/amp you get. A 2 sub kit means a bigger amp, a bigger box for the two subs, usually a bit bigger wiring kit (not always) and more reason to go with aftermarket head unit.

I could go on for hours. PM me with more of what you are looking to get out of your system, and I can suggest some good brands and setups that would fit your budget and surely make your drive a happier one!


Hey wat up, I listen to rap 100%, whatever has the best beat.....I talked to my friend and he talked me into getting one sub instead of two but with better quality, more rms wattage, better amp, ect.

althogh i do like the looks of having 2 subs tho, other then that what all do u need for wiring it, do u connect it staight to battery or could u just disconnect the subs that the cobalt comes with on the top of the trunk and connect those wires connecting those to the amp then amp to aftermarket subs. if that makes any sense lol just tell me what u would do man.....

thanks, chris
05c08a!t is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05c08a!t View Post
Hey wat up, I listen to rap 100%, whatever has the best beat.....I talked to my friend and he talked me into getting one sub instead of two but with better quality, more rms wattage, better amp, ect.

althogh i do like the looks of having 2 subs tho, other then that what all do u need for wiring it, do u connect it staight to battery or could u just disconnect the subs that the cobalt comes with on the top of the trunk and connect those wires connecting those to the amp then amp to aftermarket subs. if that makes any sense lol just tell me what u would do man.....

thanks, chris
Okay, well, I have 2 subs, with pretty good wattage but not huuge (hopefully upgrading soon lol). 2 subs will move mor air whereas 1 powerful sub will deliver clearf, tight bass. Good choice though.

Now, what you will need to do is choose a sub first. i am running JBL's, which I think is an amazing brand. Pricey, but ebay is your friend. I recommend the power series 12'' if you can fit it into your budget (p1222 or the new equivalent). It is a verry powerful sub, and don't let the RMS fool you, all their subs are tested at 7x their rms value for quality and clarity. I know that rockford fosgate make some sick subs too, p3's and what not. Find a sub that fits your budget etc. After deciding on a sub, then you;ll have to choose a good aftermarket amp to deliver enough power to it. I would recommend getting an amp that has the RMS value a bit higher than that of the sub. (just make sure when you install it that you don't max it out, blowing the sub lol). Also, if you want to upgrade your head unit (suggested) then do so now. Doesn't have to be too pricey but something with ipod or mp3 control as well as good sub/bass/EQ setting is really good to look for. Check the specs for the sub, and it will tell you what size the box should be. I go with vented boxes because they do deliver more dB and more punch. Sealed box will be different than ported a bit. Bit less loud, less air movement I guess. Now, the wiring kit will allow you to connect this all up. If you are getting a capacitor, get 3 farad or above if you can. Power acoustik makes a great one, me and some friends have them, (mines 3farad) works amazing and not very expensive either. The wiring kit will have a fuse between the battery and amp connection (or if you buy a capacitor, then the wire will go from the battery with a fuse on the line, to the cap, then from the cap to the amp...ill explain this in more detail after you buy the system).
What is included in the wiring kit is large power wire for the power supply to the amp and capacitor, as well as auxiliary cords, which connect from the head unit subwoofer output to the amp. If you give me a budget I could get a better idea of what kind of stuff to suggest. Wiring kit is pricey if you buy from a store, try online as well. Amps are the only thing to watch out for when buying online. Try and find a friend who works at a major electronics store who can buy it for you with his discount then slip him a bit extra lol. that's how I got my rockford p1000.1 (which got stolen 2 yrs ago :'( amazing amp).

All that said, do your research, get back to me with a budget and I can help you more if you need. After you decide what to buy, we can talk installation (if you decide to do it yourself). Sometimes, it is worth it to buy a package that includes install if there is one offered at a store with good equipment.

I hope this answers some questions man! ask any questions and ill get bakc to you asap.
BboyTaktix is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06cobalt View Post
Go to a store that just deals with car audio and take a look around and listen to duff set ups they have avail. Thats what I did. mine cost 1400 installed that was everything. Head unit, 2 X 12" subs, amp, wiring, front speakers, rear speakers, and the wiring that allows my info to still work with an aftermarket head unit. I think it was worth it.
this is okay, but the system will sound completely different in the car then on the wall of a big store. Different setting, space, head unit, etc. When you have your own system, you modify the setting on the head unit, gain, power, etc to make it perfect for your car depending on its interior space etc. So if you have friends with systems have a listen first, and do lots of research online for good reviews etc is what I say.
BboyTaktix is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 248
here is the link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=9389173
or just go to best buy and try to look 4 one if u can

Last edited by 05c08a!t; 12-05-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: f'ed up
05c08a!t is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 248
do i 100% really need a copacitator or whatever it was called, right now i can only spend like 400 or less but i was really wanting to get some other stuff like exhaust, rims, lowering kit, tint, probulay even more.

on best buy i found a kenwood package marked at 220$ with 2 subs and an amp each sub being 800w max ( 200 rms ) and amp being 350 W max heres the link

Kenwood - Party Pack with Two 12" Subwoofers and 350W Amplifier - P-W1200

i know its cheap and not the best but would this deliver a good sound and "feel" of the bass; please look at that link and tell me what u think and maybe even find something on their for me that u would get with my price range
05c08a!t is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome