Has Anyone Reran the Antenna Wire? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Has Anyone Reran the Antenna Wire?

I tried to replace the stock antenna last night with a shorter antenna as it was hitting the garage door and getting on my nerves.

Wellllll. First the bracket that the antenna is mounted to in the truck broke the mounting welds when I tried to unscrew the old antenna.

Then when I was able to get in the trunk and get a grip on the antenna with some channel locks and have the gf unscrew the antenna it was so rusted to the based it snapped right off (why did i buy a third gm product?).

So I went and got an after market antenna and mount assembly and put that on the car and it doesn't look horrible and it seals the whole pretty darn good.

But I didn't want to rerun the whole antenna wire.

I pulled the old antenna wire out of the socket/mount and it has what looks like the standard(motorola) male end, however it doesn't have the pin, it has a hole for a pin to go into. A standard antenna end fits in nicely and makes a good connection but that is the onnly connection.

Does anyone know of a coupler to get connectivity on the outer connection or do I need to rerun the whole wire?

If I rerun the whole wire has anyone done this, and if so how difficult is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Newcomer

well i ran a new antenna wire but i used one that mounts to the inside of the rear windowand ran the wire behind the head liner down the passenger side a piller and under the dash.
it was fairly easy doing it that way.

for the connector go to a place that installes radios and tell them what you need if they dont have one they should be able to get one.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/mikes6084/DSC00964.jpg?t=1252378856
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I talked to several car audio guys at this one local car audio shop...

They all said the same thing. Just splice the wires (they didn't say splice, i with an electrical background injected that) together (IE cut them and then tie them together).

They lie through their teeth.

It is actually very easy to rerun this wire. And would be even easier if I had had sunlight and temperatures above 20 degrees f outside.

I would have taken pictures but again it was dark outside and all i had to see by was the light inside the car and a led "headlight" flashlight on my head.

I think the factory one had slightly better reception but it works at least now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode