Stock Head Unit - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Stock Head Unit

i have a question,does the stock head unit have a input/output (ill think of wha i mean later i just cant think of the exact word right now,lol) for subs in the back of it? I plan to hook up a box with subs+amp sometime and altough i would love to get a better head unit (most likely with the screen and a GPS connection)but do not have the cash.can someone give me advice???

ps i read the how to on installing them to a stock head unit but that drowns out the sound alittle(depending on witch rear speaker u choose) and id rather it b literally connected to the head unit,not running off of another speakers wires, i mean if thats the only option then sure but i wanna see if there is a way to directly "plug"it into the head unit

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

i would tear it apart my self and look but 1 im too lazy to do that and then it all be for nothing and 2 it seems alot simpler and faster just to ask people on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lambocobaltsc
I have a really nice and loud system that is connected to the stock head unit for now. its not off a speaker. Its a big amp too. u should have no problem with this! all u need is the little converter piece to plug into the back of the head unit and then into ur amp. ( 2 or 4 channel depending on ur amp)

I purposely down shift when i pass a prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

ok cool,thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via MSN to droflakcin Send a message via Yahoo to droflakcin
does the subs sound better when they're hooked to a speaker or straight to the head unit?

2005 Chevy Cobalt LS

I like constructive criticism.
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...tml#post321632
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

usually they sound better when hey are hooked into the head unit,because then its not feeding off some of the power/signals from whitchever speaker u choose to use(drowns out some sound from that speaker) and the subs may not even be as loud
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via MSN to droflakcin Send a message via Yahoo to droflakcin
makes sense.. i just hate the thought of running wire through the whole damn car, but then again, i have to anyway for a kill switch, wait.. with it going to the HU, do the subs need a kill switch or no? sorry for stupid questions i just dont know much about subs

2005 Chevy Cobalt LS

I like constructive criticism.
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...tml#post321632
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

thats ok,im not sure about this,but i wouldnt think so,i just know alto of pple that kno alot about subs/head units,unfortunetly i wont see any1 with all this snow and i dont have their numbers,that and that my brother is just big on all audio stuff is how i know what i do,but i do not think (again im not certain) that u would need a kill switch
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...head-unit.html

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

mp81,ive read this and it says nowhere in it about actually hooking it to the stock system unless ur feeding off a speaker.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That's...all it talks about. You hook it up to the stock system via the line-out converter on the rear speakers.

That's how I run mine, and it sounds fine.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode