2007 Cobalt LS Audio System Upgrade - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2007 Cobalt LS Audio System Upgrade

Hello forum dwellers! I have finally gotten sick and tired of my Cobalt's stock audio and have decided to upgrade. The door speakers have recently been shorting out and after searching the nets, I found this to be a common problem due to the cheap speakers from Mexico. I have the stock bare bones 07 Cobalt it is manual, no steering controls, manual windows etc.

I have decided to go with the following set-up:

JBL GTO638 6.5 3-way - for the fronts
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO638-6-5-Inch-3-Way-Speakers/dp/B003KN2TF8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2WJP1U0YOR8BW&coliid=IGNI8PTC03NYX
JBL GTO938 6x9 3-way - for the backs
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO938-9-Inch-3-Way-Loudspeaker/dp/B003KN2TGM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2WJP1U0YOR8BW&coliid=I21PM9E183RJTN
JL audio 4 channel 360W Class A/B Amp (70W/4Ch RMS)
http://www.amazon.com/JX360-Audio-4-Channel-Class-Amplifier/dp/B004MLXWSK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2WJP1U0YOR8BW&coliid=I2AJSN3CA6HZWJ
Before I pull the trigger I would like to know the forums input positive and negative on my choices. Also regarding installation, what would be the best way to install this amplifier. I have researched various harnesses and I really don't care about keeping chimes and what not I really just want it to work, although with minimal cutting of wires if possible. I originally was just going to add the four speaker but I then decided to add the amp based on the paltry RMS wattage of the stock head unit. Before adding the amp I was going to use this harness:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZP2CQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
So in summary:
1. Critique my current set-up.
2. What would be the best installation method including harness and whatever else I need, while keeping in mind I would like to not spend 100 bucks on a harness. Or perhaps I don't even need a harness.

Last edited by thedudeman; 07-31-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Prospect

Car audio -2007 Lt fully loaded

I just installed an MTX 800 Watt 4 channel amp with Kenwood 450w 4 way 6x9's and Kenwood 250w 3way 6 1/2 inch door speakers....6x9's were a nightmare because the factory installs the stock speakers and wiring BEFORE they install the rear window. (you will figure that one out guaranteed). I used a Scosche 4 chan. and there are serious whining issues. Yes I optimized the gain at the converter and set up the amp manually. I wired the amp's "remote on" to the Sunroof fuse (best known option so stereo works with Acc and shuts off when the door opens). I am hoping someone replies to this and offers some advice on how to eliminate the engine whine without a capacitor.

Darkannon
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Just be careful not to over drive the 6.5s. The 6x9s should be good though.

2007 Cobalt Ls Manual Coupe
Kenwood Excelon X996, RF T3 Components, RF Power 6x9s, Sundown Audio SA10, RF Power T600.4, Alpine MRP-1000, Kinetic HC-1800, Black headlights, FX-R HID 55W, Custom led tail lights, Led reverse lights, Airbox mod.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Contributor

Garage
I did a writeup on how to hook up the 4 channel amps in our cars..

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/aud...ids-highs.html

I've installed car stereo for almost 20 years now, and this is the easiest way to do it

make sure you get the proper harness for behind the radio for your car, do not hack the wires to put in the new radio, it's just not worth it

John
2008 Cobalt LT
SS springs and Stagg struts
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS
Memphis 16-MCH600 "Baby Belle" hybrid amplifier
MB quart Premium 6.5" componant/premium tweeters front
MB quart Premium 5.25 componant/premium tweeters rear
Memphis PR-10" sub in factory sub box

miles and miles of dynamat extreme...

Last edited by jignaczak; 09-04-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: subscription
Sponsored Links
Advertisement