Call Me Crazy, but I Don't Want Over Powering Bass... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Call Me Crazy, but I Don't Want Over Powering Bass...

Call me crazy, but I don't want over powering bass I want a new system for my car that sounds clean and sounds like the artist wants it to sound like.

People are always installing new systems with 2 15" sub woofers ect, but that is not what I want. Any suggestions on a clean sounding install. I was thinking of Mb Quart or Boston Acoustics.

How are the factory pioneer tweeters? Should I replace them too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 AM
Staff Alumni

boston accoustics sounds amazing! my uncles factory setup in his dodge avenger is great.

personally i have the stock pioneer sub with a pioneer amp powering it. then i have alpine speakers front and rear. I have zero complaints but i will admit that i dont have an ear to tune a guitar or match a note. im no audiophile but i do like my music to sound clean and be able to hear the music over the bass

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Same here, too much bass isn't natural.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Newcomer

I with you on this one, I like to have some bass but not enough that you'll make it sound like junk. People around where I live must think hearing a trunk of a car or whatnot in a truck rattle sounds good. It just sounds horrible but I'm the one that gets looks when you hear what the artist says without over powering bass when a drummer hits the drum set.

I've been searching for a good setup of speakers but nothing hasn't really peaked my interest at all. I like some bass that I can feel it inside the car but not so much outside. I had some infinity speakers in a previous car that sounded wonderful but I heard mixed emotions about infinity. Been looking at Alpine and Kenwood.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
For the rear just get 2 way 6 X 9 with a long travel and huge magnets. The long travel will give you the bass you need out of a six by nine and the huge magnet will stop the cone from oscillating at a harmonic frequency. No use putting tweeters in the rear since all highs are heard from the front. Your 6 in front go with 3 ways unless you have higher mounted tweeters then go with 2 ways, again long travel larger magnets will give you the sound performance you need. Keep in mind that when you go with larger magnets you lose efficiency so you will notice that you will need to pump the volume a bit more to get the same sound pressure level. But what you lose in power transfer you will gain in tightness and clarity. My 2 worth. I would rather listen to a clean sound than a rattling trunk.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Newcomer

Oh yeah, i'd rather listen to a clean system too. I'll look into 2 ways all the way around with decent magnets on them. Is there a preferred speaker with bigger magnets/long travel in 6x9?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Staff Alumni

Size of the magnet doesn't necessarily mean better sound. Bigger the magnet the more sensitive to the input signal. Which means your amp doesn't have to work as hard.
I'd go with Coby and get some 2 ways all the way around, with a 10" sub in the trunk. Anything brand name will be a good speaker. Kenwood, JBL, Alpine, Kicker, Boston Acoustic, Pioneer, Memphis Audio, Polk, JL Audio, and so on. By cheap speaker and you'll get cheap results.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Newcomer

Right now I do have a 12" sub but it isn't hooked up at the moment since I don't have the extra cash to buy that damn aftermarket stereo kit or I'd have the sub hooked up. I'll look around at a local flea market that has a few stereo places that sale name brand speakers and see what I can find. Thanks for all the information guys.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCracka69 View Post
Right now I do have a 12" sub but it isn't hooked up at the moment since I don't have the extra cash to buy that damn aftermarket stereo kit or I'd have the sub hooked up. I'll look around at a local flea market that has a few stereo places that sale name brand speakers and see what I can find. Thanks for all the information guys.
Line out converter to rear speakers. Done and done.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Newcomer

I would do that but at the moment I have other things hooked up to the speakers. I got 2 pairs of led's hooked up to each speaker, not sure if hooking a sub would be over kill on the one or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode