Remote Start Install - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Remote Start Install

Hi I just bought a remote starter and a bypass unit. I am wondering if I can get some advice on how to install the remote starter and the bypass on a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit. Has anyone ever installed a remote starter on there Cobalt?
These are the products I bought.
Remote starter module:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compusta...9#tab=overview
Bypass Unit:
GM Self Learning (ALL TYPES) Passlock Override
Remote:
RF-1WG5-SS | Remote Start System | Compustar.com

Now the part I dont quite understand is when I look at my ignition switch wiring I dont have a orange or blue wire coming from the ignition to the BCM like in the diagram on page 3.

The diagram can be downloaded here: GM Self Learning (ALL TYPES) Passlock Override

Wires to the ignition switch:
wire 1: Black and White
wire 2: White
wire 3: Brown
wire 4: Yellow
wire 5: Red and White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

Hello,

I did mine on an 05 cobalt LS sedan.

I need more info. Sedan or Coupe?
Automatic I'm assuming?

And please post pics of the Ignition switch (Back) as well as the PK connector (under the ignition module). When I did my install I had a few members help me out and pictures are truly worth 1000 words.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Contributor

Guessing this was another forum "join/ask/bye" member...

JMO, but now that I'm older & wiser...I'll gladly pay extra for someone to install the remote starter. It's definitely a underappreciated talent and, like a nice dad, I elected to add remote starters to both of my kids cars.

We found out the hard way how a simple sounding remote starter kit install can go bad...my mom's car still hasn't worked right since my former BIL tapped a hot wire in the wrong spot...7-yrs-ago and counting.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah. I ended up getting it installed at visions a local electronic shop. Really wished I would have tried the install but at the same time I'm glad I didn't try it and mess something up.
I still had some problems with the way they installed it. They wreaked the plastic steering wheel cover and I'm getting a pass lock light that will go on when I put the key in the car.
Atleast the pass lock system is disabled cause my car wouldn't start in extreme cold temperatures. It would think its being stolen and make me leave the key in the on position for ten minutes before I could start it again -_-

Thanks for the advice guys!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Hey have a guy from work doing my bypass on a 08 coupe manual. I need to know how to bypass the clutch? He was thinking zip tie the sensor up? I never leave it n gear. Also what wire is the brake light? He said something that there is 2 wires on my car? Ideas anything helps
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfredrichs View Post
Hey have a guy from work doing my bypass on a 08 coupe manual. I need to know how to bypass the clutch? He was thinking zip tie the sensor up? I never leave it n gear. Also what wire is the brake light? He said something that there is 2 wires on my car? Ideas anything helps
Don't mean to be negative here, but if this work friend can't figure out the bypass wiring...it's time to bail and get yourself a professional.

Both of my kids cars were only $220 for remote starter installation which includes "lifetime" support. To me, I'd have more faith in someone who's worked these things a bit vs. guesswork...JMO.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Forum Regular

Yea, the remote start can be used without bypassing the neutral safety switch.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis0432 View Post
Now the part I dont quite understand is when I look at my ignition switch wiring I dont have a orange or blue wire coming from the ignition to the BCM like in the diagram on page 3.
Curtis,

It seems you already have this taken care of, but for future reference or anyone else looking for this information..... Cut the White wire and hook up per the diagram. The Cobalt has a Yellow wire to be used instead of the Blue wire called out on the page 3 PLJX bypass diagram.

My Security light doesn't come on though after installing and programming the Bypass, that seems odd. I didn't install a remote start. I just installed a bypass because "Security" kept me form starting my car for 10 minutes every morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
auto start , bypass , remote start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode