Need Some Input. Radio Install Issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Need Some Input. Radio Install Issues

my gf has an 05 cobalt base. no onstar, no pioneer, nothing special. just a basic radio and 4 speaker system. i bought her a kenwood double din for her birthday back in november. went to install it into her vehicle, and long story short, turns out the radio was faulty.

so i warranty it for another brand new kenwood. and before i even go through all the trouble of connecting every wire again, i just connected the 2 power wires and the ground. nothing. surely i couldn't have gotten 2 bad brand new kenwood stereos in a row right?? i've been a fan of kenwoods for quite awhile. i have 1 in 1 of my vehicles and it works awesome.

couple things to note:
-took a test light to the 10a fuse on the back of the radio, and it's receiving power
-not using the recommended interface, because that's 50 bucks that i didn't have to actually spend with this base option
-already tried hooking up directly to the battery with the yellow/red wire and ground. still no life
-fuse is not blown

i purchased from crutchfield and their customer support was great the first time around. i'd hate to call again saying this radio is doing the same thing. i feel like they'd think i'm screwing something up and blowing the unit and get screwed out of 160 bucks.

anybody have any ideas as to maybe i'm doing something wrong? is there something special about installing a radio in newerish GMs? i've installed radios before, but on a 95 and 89 vehicle lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

No one has any ideas?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
check your ground?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Contributor

Garage
There is no switched power at your harness, that needs to be run to the fuse box, usually the sunroof fuse is the good candidate

If you do not power the constant and ignition(switched) power to the radio, most will not power on, check that both of those wires are getting power

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

And please tell me you did not cut the plug behind the radio to wire this one up, if you did, just pour gas on the car and light the match, because you will have electrical problems

John
2008 Cobalt LT
SS springs and Stagg struts
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT GPS
Memphis 16-MCH600 "Baby Belle" hybrid amplifier
MB quart Premium 6.5" componant/premium tweeters front
MB quart Premium 5.25 componant/premium tweeters rear
Memphis PR-10" sub in factory sub box

miles and miles of dynamat extreme...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So run one wire to the sunroof fuse area, and leave the other connected with the harness? this seems a lot more difficult than i'd ever expect on a base model car..

and no i did not clip the factory harness. not sure why anyone would need to do that to any vehicle..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Initiate

Garage
Hook it up and crank the car then try to turn it on. See if that works.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignaczak View Post

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

And please tell me you did not cut the plug behind the radio to wire this one up, if you did, just pour gas on the car and light the match, because you will have electrical problems

^^Agree^^

Back in the 80's (showing my age) I used to wire audio direct w/o harness and everything always worked as planned. With today's elaborate electronics, it's best to spend the extra $50 on a harness/connector. Sometimes there are x-wires, resistors, etc. within vehicle wiring that communicate w/onboard chips/circuitry. Cutting & splicing, unless you're trained/seasoned, will bring electrical gremlins of many kind to your vehicle's ops.

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Newcomer

I need help 06 cobalt ls aftermarket head unit I ran the red wire to fuse box and tried sun roof radio an a spare I'm confused in using a fuse tap
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Expert

You guys should just buy the harness, I know its $50+ but it saves some time and effort. Not to mention you don't have to worry about tapping another source for power. Also the harness is going to add an accessory wire, in case you want to ad subs or something later on.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Cornier Than Ethanol
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
When I hooked mine up a long time ago, I went with (what I believe was) a 32 pin Metra harness that I got for like $15. Forget that GM adapter! I lost my chimes and steering controls, but blah... It's all plug and play still, except for wiring the power wire. Especially if it's base and doesn't have the extra need to run the wire for the factory amp. I can dobule check this when I get home though, since the harness is just laying on a shelf in my garage, and get you the part# if it's on there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode