Driver's Side Door Short - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Driver's Side Door Short

So after some googling, it appears that this is a known issues, but I wanted to see what you guys know about it. So here it is:

My driver's side door speaker seems to be shorting out. The speaker isn't blown, because every now and then when I start my car up it just magically works and stays that way all day, or a couple days. Then poof, out of nowhere it dies again. This is super annoying, especially so since that's where all the warning chimes and blinker sounds come from. So I have a couple options and I have questions about them.

Option 1: Replace the speakers with aftermarket speakers.

Concerns:

1. Will this actually fix the issue? Or is this common short not actually with the speaker and in fact with the wiring elsewhere?

2. I saw a guide for a speaker swap that showed that the stock door speakers are not round and have an odd shaped bracket. The guide I watched mentioned cutting the foam out from the stock brackets and mounting the new speaker around it as to stop the loss of sound through the hole that would be left behind. I don't know a whole lot about car audio equipment, but this seemed like a pretty big hassle, and I don't want to swap out for aftermarket speakers only for it to sound worse than stock.

Option 2: Take off my door panel simply to try and find the short.

Concerns: That maybe the short is within the speaker itself, or that I can't find what is causing the short. This would end in me pulling my door panel off for no reason, and is a potential concern for option 1 too.

Option 3: Take it to the dealership.

Concerns: Money. It's a 2010 that (AFAIK) is out of warranty. So I can only imagine how much the dealership would charge me to fix it. But this option seems to be the only fix that I am certain would work.

Sorry for the long winded post. I tend to over think decisions like this, and when I weigh the options I love outside opinions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it's like mine it was the connection in the little black connector that connects to the speaker. The pins inside weren't crimped good enough to the wire. I cut the connector off and added crimp connectors. No problem since.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode