Ignition Switch Wiring Help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Ignition Switch Wiring Help

Bought an 05 Cobalt a couple weeks ago and have been plagued by the "security immobilizer" issue. Had the same issue on an old Oldsmobile from '04. Knock on wood I haven't had an issue on our '07 HHR yet.

To get to the point I bought a Xpresskit PLJX bypass to hook up, and will later hookup a remote start. Everything seemed great until I unplug the harness from the ignition switch and found I have red/white, yellow, brown, white, white/black instead of the orange, blue, brown, white, white/black wires on the bypass instructions.

Figured if I took the silly security from the key out of the equation I should be able to start my car without worrying I'll have to play the 10 minute security reset game.

If anyone has install a bypass on one of these and can help I'd be much appreciative. I only have to locate the White and Blue wire according to these instrutions, but as mentioned above I don't have a Blue wire on the ignition switch The white wire breaks to pass through the PLJX and I just have to tie into the blue wire and ground it.

http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=1424

Thanks in advance, looks like a lot of useful information on this site. So far I've replaced the headlights, front speakers, interior door handles, original battery and an O2 sensor in the few weeks I've owned this. Cosmetically the car now looks new. Once I get this security fiasco straight I think I'm going to enjoy this car for years to come. If I don't I'm going to continue to hate how undependable it has been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Contributor

I'd think Chevy wiring should be same for most electronics so here's the link where I found the blu/wht wire for my Colorado:

How to: Permanently disable the passlock II system. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

Started truck, cut wire and hasn't acted up since...are you looking at the same harness..??

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

No, I'm looking at the 5 wires that come directly off the plug to the ignition switch. I did find information on this car saying that the yellow wire is the ignition wire. If I cannot find out any differently, I'll probably just break the white wire and hookup the PLJX to it as indicated in the instructions I posted. I'll strip part of the yellow wire and use it instead of the blue, connect the ground and hopefully the horrible Passlock garbage should be disabled.

Unless someone knows differently.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Not sure if this will help you or not

Connector Part Information
• 6-Way F 035 Series ILAG5 (GN)

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
1 -- -- Not Used
2 RD/WH 1040 Battery Positive Voltage
3 YE 5199 Run/Crank Relay Coil Control
4 BN 4 Accessory Voltage
5 WH 1390 Off/Run/Crank Voltage
6 WH/BK 1073 Ignition Key Resistor Signal

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thanks Coby7!

I compared it to the Ion and it has the following.

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
1 -- -- Not Used
2 OG 1040 Battery Positive Voltage
3 D-BL 338 Run/Crank Voltage
4 BN 4 Accessory Voltage
5 WH 1390 Off/Run/Crank Voltage
6 WH/BK 1073 Ignition Key Resistor Signal

Looks like I can just use the Yellow vs. the Blue in the instructions for the PLJX. Worse case it doesn't start again, which is about half the number of times it will now

Guess I'll get out the wire cutters and soldering iron.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

So far so good, thanks again Coby7. Think I fixed the dreaded GM Security fiasco for $22 and about 1.5 hours.

Once I installed the PLJX bypass, let the bypass program and had to let the car go through the 30 minute relearn it should no longer be looking for the key or resistor.

Guess when I decide to add a remote start later it will make the job easier.

For what it is worth, anyone looking for a good point to tie into a constant 12v in these cars, if you take off the side cover of the center console on the drivers side you can tie into the wire for the cigarette lighter easy enough. The metal frame also makes a great ground

Last edited by S_Gibson; 02-03-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode