2007 Cobalt Audio Setup - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
2007 Cobalt Audio Setup

im planning on upgrading the system in my cobalt using the factory head unit, im not going crazy just want better quality for not a bad price, im replacing all 4 speakers with sony 260w upfront and sony 420w speakers in the rear deck. my plan is to put a 10inch 1100w sony sub in the back. now this is where it might get confusing but could i use my amp for the sub to amplify the 6x9s in the rear deck? if you got any answers please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Contributor

Yes you can....I've got 3 amps in mine(bit extreme but I like it)
All depends on the amp your using
Is it full range?
Mono?
How many channels?
That plays a big part
Then how many subs 1, 2
In series or parallel for subs...
Ohms the subs are? Dual or single voice coil?
By the way get rid of the sony first...lol.. Not a sony fan....

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

How the amp turn on by the way?

Megatron for global domination(0)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Is it full range?
Mono?
How many channels?
That plays a big part
Then how many subs 1, 2

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

i dought im gonna amplify the door and rear deck speakers im not going to extreme with this system, im hoping to keep it around 500 bucks, ill probably just upgrade the speakers and throw in a sub and amp, what amp would be good to run a 10inch 1100w sub?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Is it full range?
Mono?
How many channels?
That plays a big part
Then how many subs 1, 2

i was looking at a adjustable 80w line out converter (LOC) is this strong enough to run from my rear deck speaker wiring to an amp in the trunk for the sub?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Expert

your stock headunit is not going to be able to properly power the door and rear speakers... you should be using an amp with those speakers.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:37 AM
Contributor

My first setup stock with RCA converter....and amp to the rear deck speakers, sub amp...
like blu3 said your head unit has a crossover in it..you'll find that out when ya see the wiring to rear speakers...(just find the right freq./wire)
Replaced mine for better sound quality..stock wasn't doing it...found a pioneer 1500dvd/cd touch screen for $250 also
Audio pipe is what I have right now good bang for the buck..1500watts at 1ohm.
Paid $250....
I have a clarion 1000watt that was my first sub amp. But that's old school amp but still nice.
Look into the audiopipe an make sure the ohms. Are match for speaker...
Is the speaker single or dual voice coil?
I'm looking to put up some old Sony amps....3amps was gonna use them in mine but went a different way...I'll be posting up here to sale in a bit if interested?(on the for sale thread)
There XM series before they when to the explode series....rustic gold color....

Megatron for global domination(0)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
My first setup stock with RCA converter....and amp to the rear deck speakers, sub amp...
like blu3 said your head unit has a crossover in it..you'll find that out when ya see the wiring to rear speakers...(just find the right freq./wire)
Replaced mine for better sound quality..stock wasn't doing it...found a pioneer 1500dvd/cd touch screen for $250 also
Audio pipe is what I have right now good bang for the buck..1500watts at 1ohm.
Paid $250....
I have a clarion 1000watt that was my first sub amp. But that's old school amp but still nice.
Look into the audiopipe an make sure the ohms. Are match for speaker...
Is the speaker single or dual voice coil?
I'm looking to put up some old Sony amps....3amps was gonna use them in mine but went a different way...I'll be posting up here to sale in a bit if interested?(on the for sale thread)
There XM series before they when to the explode series....rustic gold color....
i know what the basics of sound systems but all this stuff your saying just looses me haha im good at doing work with wiring and all that it just confuses me when im trying to figure out in my head what goes to what and how im going to do it, hard to explain, i want a SIMPLE SYSTEM (BANG FOR LITTLE BUCK, USING STOCK HEAD UNIT) nothing to fancy, i want a decent sound quality with pretty good sound and a sub and amp combo for some bass
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Forum Regular

2007 Cobalt Audio Setup

The place I learned how to setup all this stuff was caraudio.com, great forums there that can teach you everything you want to know.

I don't know how anemic the amp in the stock head unit is, but it would probably be fine to power your front and rear speakers if you don't want to amp them.

Sony is a terrible brand for car audio, look around a bit more if Sony is the path you're considering.

And please don't quote the "max power" stats like you've done so far when mentioning your proposed setup. "Max watts" or "max power" mean nothing, essentially. Always go by RMS power for both subs and amps.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinw303 View Post
The place I learned how to setup all this stuff was caraudio.com, great forums there that can teach you everything you want to know.

I don't know how anemic the amp in the stock head unit is, but it would probably be fine to power your front and rear speakers if you don't want to amp them.

Sony is a terrible brand for car audio, look around a bit more if Sony is the path you're considering.

And please don't quote the "max power" stats like you've done so far when mentioning your proposed setup. "Max watts" or "max power" mean nothing, essentially. Always go by RMS power for both subs and amps.
yea i kinda figured that out i think i would go with some kenwood 6.5 for the front with a 70w RMS and kenwood 6x9 for the rear with a 110w RMS then i would like to run a LOC (line out converter) from one of my rear speakers and run that to an amp powering a sub
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM
Forum Regular

That sounds good, but I'd look into some Kenwoods with a lower RMS rating since you're keeping the stock head unit. Something no higher than 50 as the max. Specifically, look at the stat "sensitivity". You would want that as high as possible for a setup using a stock head unit, at least somewhere higher than 90db to take full advantage of the limited power input you're using.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
That sounds good, but I'd look into some Kenwoods with a lower RMS rating since you're keeping the stock head unit. Something no higher than 50 as the max. Specifically, look at the stat "sensitivity". You would want that as high as possible for a setup using a stock head unit, at least somewhere higher than 90db to take full advantage of the limited power input you're using.
would anyone know any sites that have a good selection of car audio parts that ship to canada cheep or free?

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote:
so i did some looking around and found a site with shipping to canada and good prices, for the front im looking at a set of Clarion SRG1623R with a max RMS of 40w with the built in center tweeter (39.99), for the rear im looking at a set of 6x9 Kenwood KFC-6965S with a RMS of 45w and a 2inch center tweeter (49.99) now all i need is a amp and 10-12inch sub combo, what would be a good bang for buck amp and sub? (only using amp to power sub) and i heard somewhere that if you put a line out converter in from your rear speakers, you should only tap into one speaker, not both if your only putting in one sub witch is my plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode