Pontiac XM Module Pinouts - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Pontiac XM Module Pinouts

Hello!

It's been a while, but we just recently purchased a used '09 torrent to add to the G5. My question is, I had an extra xm tuner laying around from my G5 install, and I've tried just plugging it in to the 'xm ready' torrent. The wires, cables, antenna were already in place from either onstar or the trim level. Anywho, when I turned on the radio and cycled through the bands, it only went to FM/AM. It won't show xm. I'm pretty sure the module works. Could the pinouts be different between the cobalts/G5's and the equinox/torrents? Or are the modules not interchangeable? My G5 is an '09 as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well nothing is free even if your radio is XM ready. I imagine you have to do more than just plug it in. Pin-out is not the same. Sorry!

Digital Radio Receiver Programming and Setup
Each of the following service procedures requires programming or setup procedures to be performed on the digital radio receiver.

XM Activation
Important: After replacement of an XM receiver, call XM radio to deactivate the receiver that has been removed from the vehicle. The vehicle must be parked in view of a satellite within 24 hours after an activation call.

Radio ON, tune to the XM channel 0 and record the radio ID. The radio ID will be required for activation of the new receiver.
Call XM radio to deactivate the faulty receiver and activate the new receiver.
US: 1-800-556-3600

Canada: 1-877-438-9677

Park the vehicle outside in an area with an unobstructed view of the southern sky.
Leave the vehicle outside with the ignition switch in the ACC position and the radio ON, tune to the XM channel 1 for 30 minutes to activate XM service.
Once activated, the radio will receive the remaining XM channels.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

09 Torrent U2K

Pin Wire Circuit Function

1 TN/WH 372 Remote Radio Left Audio Signal (-)
2 BN/WH 367 Remote Radio Left Audio Signal (+)
3 D-GN/WH 368 Remote Radio Right Audio Signal (+)
4 GY 388 Remote Radio Right Audio Signal (-)
5 D-GN 5060 Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data
6-8 -- -- Not Used
9 BK/WH 651 Ground
10 -- -- Not Used
11 WH 6759 Discrete Audio Drain Wire
12-15 -- -- Not Used
16 RD/WH 2340 Battery Positive Voltage

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

2009 Pontiac G5 (U2K)
Pin Wire Circuit Function

1 -- -- Not Used
2 BN/WH 367 Left Audio Signal (+)
3 D-GN/WH 368 Right Audio Signal (+)
4 -- -- Not Used
5 D-GN 5060 Low Speed GMLAN Serial Data
6-8 -- -- Not Used
9 BK 650 Ground
10 TN/WH 372 Audio Common (-)
11 BARE 814 Drain Wire
12-15 -- -- Not Used
16 RD/WH 1240 Battery Positive Voltage

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 03-01-2014 at 02:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Ahhh thanks! I thought they may be different, but the important pins; positive, negative, drain and GMLAN are the same.

Which makes this really odd, because if the module is able to talk to the radio, I would at least be allowed to cycle through the XM band on the radio. I should be able to see XM as available, and tune to channel 1 & 0, then maybe the audio would be messed up, but I could fix that. Instead it acts as if there's nothing connected.

Do you think the modules are completely different? i.e. A torrent module would speak a different language than the smaller cars and vice versa? Because physically, they're the same. But we all know, physical doesn't mean circuitry.

I'm going to rip up my G5 rear deck once more to test this module, so I can rule out the possibility of it not working all together.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Isn't there a procedure to unlock XM on the torrent radio, like holding the FM button for 3 seconds or something like that or is it the AUX button.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

There is? When I did the install on my G5 everything was plug and play. Even though the audio wires didn't make their way to the dash, the GMLAN did, and the radio cycled through XM instantly.

A friend of mine has an Equinox though, he doesn't know much about cars, but this isn't his primary anymore, so he let me take out his tuner to try in mine. It cycled through but of course said "XM Locked". Everything went back in his car, still works for him.

At least the radio would cycle through that band though. I also noticed the part number was different. Though side by side they look exactly the same.

I was originally worried that the GMLAN or power pins were different, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If I rule out that it's a bad module tomorrow in my G5, I guess this mod just can't be done unless I order the exact part.

I wouldn't think they'd be model specific, to save money, build one receiver for all of at least the same model year, but it is GM after all..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

I think I found the problem! Apparently, GM was dumb and switched the communications from 29 to 11 bit in the 2009 cobalt but not the 2009 torrent. They did this but updated the radio and everything to look like it was new, but it was on the old system.

Does anyone know when they switched the cobalts/G5's to 11 bit? So I know where I can start looking for parts. The torrent wasn't as popular and parts from them are few and far between.

Thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
2009 Torrent digital receiver GM part# 20940528
2009 G5 digital receiver GM part# 20942555

2011 Chevrolet Impala XM Satellite Radio Module 20940528 | eBay

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Wow thank you!!

At the same time though... Guess I should've done my research before we bought this.

From the car compatibility list of that module, it looks like the USB radio option was never introduced on this GM LAN system.. That was going to be my next upgrade to it.

That specific seller doesn't ship to canada, but thanks for doing my research :p I'll find someone to get the module from.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizestuff View Post
That specific seller doesn't ship to canada, but thanks for doing my research :p I'll find someone to get the module from.
It says they do ....

Shipping:

US $25.94 (approx. C $28.72) International Priority Shipping to Canada help icon for Shipping - opens a layer
See details
Item location:
Linden, New Jersey, United States
Ships to:
United States and many other countries | See details
Import charges:
US $16.68 (amount confirmed at checkout) help icon for Shipping - opens a layer
Delivery: Estimated within 8-15 business days help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer

Includes international tracking

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Or now that you have the number check the junkyards, maybe not a lot of Torrents but there are tons of Impalas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
pinouts , radio , torrent , xm module

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode