Stock Radio, Bad Harness - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Stock Radio, Bad Harness

I recently purchased a 2006 Cobalt LS and the previous owner installed an aftermarket radio. To get the price down, I let him keep the radio and reinstall the stock one. I tried the radio out and I can only pick up one local FM station, the rest are static. I took the stock radio out to look at the back of the radio and there was an aftermarket adapter running from the back of the radio to the antenna jack. I went my local Chevy dealership and the parts guy told me that I am missing a wiring harness to hook the stock radio back up to the antenna. He wanted to charge me over $200. Is there anywhere online where I can get the harness for cheap and not mess up anything electronically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Forum Regular

pictures would help tremendously. my experience when putting an aftermarket radio in you need adapter to go from the stock size antenna to the after market size. seems like you could just unplug the adapter and plug it back in like stock

99 zr2 solid axle swap in progress
2006 Chevy Cobalt work car 282k and counting
2007 g6 gt family car
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Garage
Without seeing exactly whats back there or is missing, Its hard to know what to search for online. Is your antenna connected at all? could you take some photos of what you have back there?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I apologize if the pictures are horrible, first time posting picture and they were taken from an Iphone. I have tried just plugging the antenna into the back of the radio, but it is the wrong size, to small I believe.
This is where the antenna plugs into the adapter.
This is the antenna, adapter, and back of the radio.
This is the actual adapter by itself.

Last edited by casey5; 04-30-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Garage
Weird. It should work unless the adapter is bad(I'm not sure how it would be bad). Check your antenna base in your trunk. If you open your trunk, there are hook-nuts for a cargo net along the back of the trunk. Take off the two on the right and pull the trunk cloth stuff down. Just check and make sure your cable is connected fully into your antenna base.

Out of curiosity, what harness did the dealer say he needed to buy to fix it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Forum Regular

you shouldnt need the adapter for the stock radio

2007 g6 gt family car
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the replies and help!!! rain_crusader, he did not tell me specifically what harness he was going to need to buy. All he did was pull the car up on his computer and print out a diagram showing the antenna cable running from the trunk to the back of the radio. (Still looking around the house for the diagram, will post when found). No names or anything, just basic 1,2,3 numbers for each part. He told me that the system showed a harness in the picture of the path of the antenna wire but did not name the harness specifically. The dealer said that the harness was needed so that I could receive radio information (station name, song title). Terry06, you think that the antenna should be able to just plug straight up into the back of the stock radio? The antenna is too small to fit properly into the back of the stock radio. Could it be possible that the previous owner removed the old antenna wire and rerun a new antenna wire to the back of the car so that it would fit the aftermarket adapter for the radio that he installed?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

I would have thought. Deff a weird situation you got there

2007 g6 gt family car
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Veteran

Garage
I guess it's possible the previous owner changed radio cables but I don't know what the point of that would be? The cobalt radio connector did change in 07. That seems like a lot of work though. Doesn't make any sense. Even if he did change them out, the adapter should still allow your radio to receive signal. Do you still have the stock antenna mast?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Plug antenna directly in radio if it's the OEM radio it should not need an adaptor.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode