Low Level Speaker Output Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Low Level Speaker Output Question

I'm just curious if the base radio head unit still outputs low level audio signals and they simply arent used. Are the radio models between the cobalts with and without the pioneer amp different? Would I be able to run some wiring from the back of the headunit harness to tap into those lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Contributor

I tapped into the rear speakers and ran it to a Line Output Convertor that has signal sensing so it'll automatically turn on your amp. I'd save yourself the trouble and do it that way.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrove View Post
I'm just curious if the base radio head unit still outputs low level audio signals and they simply arent used. Are the radio models between the cobalts with and without the pioneer amp different? Would I be able to run some wiring from the back of the headunit harness to tap into those lines?
Year would help

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Garage
I was wondering this too. The tech 2 asks for the option of amplified or non-amplified. I'm betting if the radio is configured with the amplifier option, it switches off the inbuilt amp of the headunit and sends low level outputs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Its on a 2008 lt. I really wouldnt be surprised if the head units were identical and the wiring harnesses differed only by the pins populated in the connector.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran

Garage
Low Level Speaker Output Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrove View Post
Its on a 2008 lt. I really wouldnt be surprised if the head units were identical and the wiring harnesses differed only by the pins populated in the connector.

For '05 model year, the connector appears to be pinned the same regardless. 07+ have different connectors. That may not be the case for those years. http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/Co...oC1-3.jpg.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I believe 07 to 09 are the same.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is the TechII menu for the radio. By the way speaker out and low level audio is the same thing just a different way of sayingif it's going to speakers or an other amplifier for further amplification.

Antenna Module -- Enabled The scan tool displays Enabled or Disabled. This is the state of the antenna module.

Auto Volume Control -- Off The scan tool displays On or Off. This is the state of the automatic volume control.

Band Status -- Varies The scan tool displays FM1, FM2, AM, XM1 or XM2. This is the current band status.

Battery Voltage Signal -- Varies This displays Volts. This is the current battery voltage signal.

Cassette Deck H.W. Level -- Varies This displays a numeric value.

Cassette Deck H.W. Level -- Varies This displays a numeric value.

Cassette Inserted -- Varies The scan tool displays Yes or No. Yes is displayed if a cassette is in the radio.

Cassette Tape Side -- Varies The scan tool displays Top or Bottom. This is the current side the cassete tape is playing.

CD Changer H.W. Level -- Varies This displays a numeric value.

CD Changer S.W. Level -- Varies This displays a numeric value.

CD Inserted -- Varies The scan tool displays Yes or No. Yes is displayed if a CD is inserted.

CD Selected - ICDX -- Varies The scan tool displays Disc 1-6 or None.

DRR -- Present The scan tool displays Present or Not Present. This is the status of the digital radio receiver (DRR).

ICDX -- Varies The scan tool displays Present or Not Present.

Ign. Cycles Since last DTC -- Varies This displays a numeric value. This is the number of ignition cycles since the last DTC was set.

Metal Tape Cassette -- Varies The scan tool displays Yes or No. Yes is displayed if a metal tape cassette is inside the radio.

Personalization Status -- Varies The scan tool displays Driver 1, Driver 2 or Unknown. This is the current personalization state.

Phone Signal -- Present The scan tool displays Present or Not Present. This is the state of the phone signal.

Preset Status -- Varies The scan tool displays Preset 1-6 or Not A Preset.

Radio Signal Strength -- Varies This displays dB. This is the current radio signal strength measured in decibels.

RSE -- Varies The scan tool displays Present or Not Present. Present is displayed if rear seat entertainment (RSE) is available.

Source Status -- Off The scan tool displays Off, Tuner, Cassette, CD, ICDX, DVD or DRR Tuner. This is the current radio source state.

Theft Armed -- Learned VIN The scan tool displays Learned VIN or No VIN. Learned VIN is displayed if the radio has the VIN stored in memory.

Theft Lock Status -- Inactive The scan tool displays Active or Inactive. This is the current state of the theft lock.

Total Cassette Hours -- Varies This displays Hrs. This is the total cassette hours.

Total CD Hours -- Varies This displays Hrs. This is the total CD hours.

Total Radio Hours -- Varies This displays Hrs. This is the total radio hours.

Volume Control -- Varies This displays Counts. This is the current volume measured in counts.

Last edited by Coby7; 05-27-2014 at 01:56 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ah. I see what you mean. Thanks for posting the connector image. I'm probably going to bypass the internal amplifier by tapping into the preamp stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode