High Pitch Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

High Pitch Noise

Hello everyone. I have an issue with my system as I have a high pitch alternator whine coming through my speakers. I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible and hope that an audio guru can help me.

I have 2 amps, one Sony Xplod - 2 channel, one Dual Electronics - 4 channel.

Both amps have their own setup kit and fuse and separate grounds. One ground (Sony) is a self made ground by my spare tire. The other ground (Dual Electronics) is using the bolt for the passenger rear seat latch.

I have 1 sub, Rockford Fosgate running off of my 2 channel Sony amp.

I have Pioneer front speakers running off my 4 channel. I also have Sony rear speakers running off of my 4 channel.

I have a tablet as my head unit.

Speaker wires running from my amp to my speakers and AUX cable from the tablet to the amp are running down the driver side of my car.

I have the power toggle for my amp running down the passenger side of my car - using a "create-a-circuit" and that's using my cluster circuit.

I have tried using a Noise Suppressor in-line with the power toggle circuit as I didn't want to try splicing into the amplifier wiring.

If you feel I missed anything please tell me. If you have any ideas, please tell me.

Thank you,

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:55 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanMan77 View Post
Hello everyone. I have an issue with my system as I have a high pitch alternator whine coming through my speakers. I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible and hope that an audio guru can help me.

I have 2 amps, one Sony Xplod - 2 channel, one Dual Electronics - 4 channel.

Both amps have their own setup kit and fuse and separate grounds. One ground (Sony) is a self made ground by my spare tire. The other ground (Dual Electronics) is using the bolt for the passenger rear seat latch.

I have 1 sub, Rockford Fosgate running off of my 2 channel Sony amp.

I have Pioneer front speakers running off my 4 channel. I also have Sony rear speakers running off of my 4 channel.

I have a tablet as my head unit.

Speaker wires running from my amp to my speakers and AUX cable from the tablet to the amp are running down the driver side of my car.

I have the power toggle for my amp running down the passenger side of my car - using a "create-a-circuit" and that's using my cluster circuit.

I have tried using a Noise Suppressor in-line with the power toggle circuit as I didn't want to try splicing into the amplifier wiring.

If you feel I missed anything please tell me. If you have any ideas, please tell me.

Thank you,

Randy
Sounds like you have a ground loop.

Where is your ground currently hooked up? Also make sure your ground is the same size or bigger gauge as your positive.

Some common causes of ground loops are:
- Being "grounded" to a bolt that is not grounded(e.g. is painted that prevents it from grounded.)
- Ground wire is not sufficient.
- amplifier grounding out to metal.
- among a few other reasons.

The other thing that could happen that's a bit more rare, but does happen is EMI which stands for Electromagnetic Interface. If you don't know about it I'm glad to give you more info, but basically almost all electronics generate it, so one thing you may want to try is spacing out the amp and speakers a little more if you haven't already(without seeing our pictures I can't tell)

The last thing that comes to mind is you mentioned you're using a tablet..If you're using a 3.5mm cable a lot of the cheaper ones are prone to causing ground loops.

There are some other possibilities so if these don't fix it, don't give up, just reply back here and I'll do what I can to help.

If you want a really in depth read on the topic there's actually a article published by MIT online:
http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST0...ps_handout.pdf

Update:
- After reading your post again I can tell you it's a grounding issue. in the trunk I usually use the same bolt the battery ground uses. I don't think the passenger rear seat latch is going to be a good ground either..if it's also in the trunk I'd ground it at the same spot. If it's in the front of the cabin I can give you some other grounding options.

Last edited by climertech; 08-29-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Updated after re-reading
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'll try regrounding or changing my ground tomorrow. I thought it would be the AUX cable as well, but I disconnected it from the amp and it still has the same issue.

I forgot to say that the noise gets louder when plugged into a device.

Thank you for your help!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 AM

No problem! Give that a try and let me know if that fixes it. I'm going to be out of town so I won't be on as often, but I'll subscribe to the tthread so if you reply I'll get a notification.

Have a great weekend, hopefully that fixes it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Hey man,

I put the ground straight to the battery to eliminate and grounding issues. That took care of most of the noise. It's still there a little, but I think I know what that is. I'm pretty sure now I need better wire to take care of everything. I found some RCA cables so I may get the speaker wore to rca converter and run that. If that won't make any difference please let me know.

Thanks for the huge help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Damn! Just went on my first little road trip with the tablet as my radio. Went from Toronto to Darien Lake, its about a 2 hour drive not including border stopping time. Man, this worked awesome! No high pitched noise which was amazing, but then Google maps being able to without internet is just a thing of awesomeness. No hiccups, no issues. Just a nice drive and a day at an amusement park.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanMan77 View Post
Damn! Just went on my first little road trip with the tablet as my radio. Went from Toronto to Darien Lake, its about a 2 hour drive not including border stopping time. Man, this worked awesome! No high pitched noise which was amazing, but then Google maps being able to without internet is just a thing of awesomeness. No hiccups, no issues. Just a nice drive and a day at an amusement park.
That's great to hear

Let us know if you need anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode