Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I Add an Aux Input to My 2006 LTZ?

8K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  kelemvor 
#1 · (Edited)
So here's a picture of my stereo. I'm wondering if it's possible to easily add an Aux input so I can plug my phone in to listen to music. I've seen various people adding it through XM Radio, which I don't have, and things like that so I'm just wondering what would be the best for my specific car.

Any info, tutorials, etc would be great.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Or I guess if there's a way that I could do this via Bluetooth, that would work fine too and might actually be easier.

See less See more
#2 ·
The cleanest way to do it is to add an iSimple gateway. Your radio is capable of XM radio which is required to install one of the iSimple gateways. Your "band" button is how you'd toggle through the different sources. Basically, you hook up the "gateway" with a car specific harness. It plugs into your stock radio harness, plugs into the gateway and also plugs into your radio.

They make a few kits depending on what you want. If you are just after aux inputs, those kits are the cheapest. you can get one for as low as $65. If you want iPod/iphone and aux input, those kits sell for around $100. eBay is your best bet for finding the cheapest price. simply go the iSimple website and put in your car info. It will tell you which kits are compatible with your car. Search the kit model number on eBay.

I have had one in my car for several years now with no problems. Installation is a breeze. If you opt for the iPod/iphone gateway, it will also show song text on your radio. also, you're able to cycle through songs with the head unit and steering wheel controls. It basically tricks your radio into thinking there is a factory XM receiver installed. I also have an aftermarket XM receiver installed in my trunk that hooks into the gateway.

isimple
pacaudio
both make these kits and I think they are the same company to be honest.

#6 · (Edited)
Sheesh. I thought no one had responded to my post since I never got an update email. Apparently I somehow didn't get subscribed to this one.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm just looking for the Aux port and nothing else. I'll check out iSimple's site and see what I can find.

Once I hook it up will the Band button show more than it does now? I'm pretty sure all I get now are FM and AM.

UPDATE: I looked at the iSimple site and the only Gateway device I could find was this one:
http://www.isimplesolutions.com/listen/gateway/gateway-select-gm-c.html

It mentions iPod controls form the radio and thins like that which I don't need. Their site is really pretty crappy to figure out what you're looking for so maybe I just missed it. Is there a more simple iSimple option?

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Or I guess if there's a way that I could do this via Bluetooth, that would work fine too.

#7 ·
#14 · (Edited)
That same company recommended this product if I only want Bluetooth. Not entirely sure how it works since you code it to am FM frequency and then it pairs with the device using their custom app. Dunno if you can just pair it with any phone with the built in BT or if you have to use their app. Also not sure how the FM frequency is used and what you do if you want to listen to the regular radio and such. hmm.

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1195&CategoryID=55

#16 ·
Anyone ever used one of these things? Would be a simple way to add bluetooth by just adding the Aux jack.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Streambot-Wireless-Bluetooth-Streaming-Receiver/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423232699&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+car+adapter+aux]Amazon.com: [New Version] Mpow® Streambot Mini Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter with 3.5 mm Stereo Output and Hands Free Calling for Car: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

#17 ·
Argh. Just noticed the ISGM533 doesn't actually include the aux port so I have to buy that separate. That seems lame.

Is it better to use a female 3.5mm to male red/white adapter or just a female 3.5mm to female 3.5mm. Or does it not make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.