Amplifier Wire Connection? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Amplifier Wire Connection?

So I pulled a stock pioneer sub from my local junk yard and I am going to wire it up without the wiring harness. I am going to buy a Pioneer GM-A3602 amplifier to go along with it, but I am a bit confused about wiring it. I want to wire it up so that while the car is running, it is on, but once I turn the car off, it shuts off the amp as well. What is a good wire to hack into so it will do that? I know almost nothing about wiring up sound systems so make it easy to understand

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran

Garage
That's exactly what I did. I used that amp too. It has line level inputs that sense signal to turn the amp off/on. I simply tapped the rear speakers and fed them into the amps line level input but you could also run a fuse tap and a wire from the sunroof fuse in the panel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Did you grab the sub mounting bolts and nuts too?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Yes I did grab those. Does the amplifier come with the speaker line in plug?

The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

Last edited by JBronski; 01-22-2015 at 07:33 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

the wipers are another good source to get a key 12v source

99 zr2 solid axle swap in progress
2006 Chevy Cobalt work car 282k and counting
2007 g6 gt family car
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBronski View Post
Yes I did grab those. Does the amplifier come with the speaker line in plug?

Yes it does.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

How did you wire the sub to the amp, did you connect the 4 wires coming out of the speaker to the 4 speaker output terminals?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Im sorry for all of the questions, but did you connect the amp to the head unit directly, or only through the rear speakers?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBronski View Post
How did you wire the sub to the amp, did you connect the 4 wires coming out of the speaker to the 4 speaker output terminals?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Im sorry for all of the questions, but did you connect the amp to the head unit directly, or only through the rear speakers?
yep. I hooked it up to all 4 outputs. dont trust the color of the wires coming out of the enclosure. I had issues trying to hook it up in bridged mono mode. I went ahead and hooked it up 1 voice on each channel. to test polarity, remove the speaker from the enclosure and use a 9 volt battery. test one at a time. hook up the black wire to negative side of the battery and red to positive, if that is the correct polarity, you'll see the cone push outwards. If that configuration is backwards, you'll see the cone draw inwards. notate which is which and test the other one. once you know what is what, its as simple as connecting each voice cone to the amps proper outputs. I didn't hook anything directly to the head unit. I tapped the rear speaker wires only.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I mounted the amp directly between the speakers. If you go that route, be sure to dial it in how you want it before you put everything back together. I will probably end up relocating it to the trunk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

So I mounted the amplifier in the trunk, but i am having problems getting it powered on. I measured the voltage of the plugs to the speakers in the truck and I am only getting .02 volts off them. Is this the right thing to tap into?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Garage
If you tapped the rear speakers, that's exactly what I did. Power directly to the battery and make sure you've got a good ground. Not sure what the voltage is or should be for those rear speakers.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Yes I tapped the rear speakers. I checked the voltage at the terminals where you feed the power wires into and I am getting 12 volts. I checked the fuse and It is good. I don't know why I am getting such low voltage at the speakers. I believe that is the cause of the problem, but I have no clue how to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode