Rewiring the Cigarette Lighter Port or Hard Wiring Devices? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Rewiring the Cigarette Lighter Port or Hard Wiring Devices?

I've seen some old threads on thsi but never an actual walk through so I'm making this as a new post..

I have various things in my car that plug in via the cigarette lighter adapter port. Phone charger, Dash Cam, Bluetooth audio device, etc.

By default, both cigarette lights are on all the time and never shut off. I know I can just keep unplugging things al lthe time but that increases the changes of a cord wearing out from getting tweaked, something coming loose, etc.

I'm looking for information two options (or any other options I haven't thought of):
1) How difficult is it, and how do you do it, to rewire one (or both) of the cigarette lighters to turn off when the car turns off?
2) How difficult is it, and how do you do it, to wire my devices into some other circuit that already turns on and off when the car does?

I've also looked at getting a http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Splitter-Intelligent-Detection-Indicator/dp/B00O9PP39A/where I can power the ports on and off but I don't know where I'd mount it to keep it out of the way but still easily accessible.

Any other options would be great too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

It's actually really easy. I did it on my ls. All it really takes is wiring a switch in. I don't remember exactly how, but I know coby7 can help you out if no one else can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode