Order of Tracks on Flash Drive - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Question Order of Tracks on Flash Drive

I have the 2010 LT stock stereo. I keep a flash drive plugged into it for music, but I haven't used it much because I'm usually listening to the radio. Just the other day, though, I decided to listen to something on the drive, and I noticed that when I got down into the folder with the songs I wanted to listen to, they were listed in a random-seeming order. Each song had a number before its name, and the numbers were all scrambled. When I picked the first song, it did go ahead and play them in the right order -- it was just that they weren't listed in order.

Like I said, I haven't used the MP3 functions of the stereo very much, but I could have sworn things used to be listed in order when I first plugged that flash drive in. Is it normal for them to show out of order?

Oh, one other thing: the folders I have corresponding to artists are listed in order, except there are two at the very end that aren't in alphabetical order. My folder layout is basically:

root folder
name of computer I copied the songs from
artist name
album name
song name

I copied the songs from my iTunes music folder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It turns out some mp3 players, including the one in my Cobalt, stupidly list files and folders in the order in which they were added to the drive. Apparently my folders were added almost perfectly in alphabetical order, but the files within were added in some arbitrary order. As I added new folders, the newest ones ended up at the end of the list.

This page < Sort MP3 files on MP3 Player > lists a bunch of tools that can reorder the files on a flash drive (or other device) to fix this problem. Since I'm a computer geek I used the one called fatsort. It worked perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
mp3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode