Stock Subwoofer/6X9 Wiring Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Stock Subwoofer/6X9 Wiring Question

Hi all, this is my first post and yes i tried searching but couldn't find the answer i was looking for.
I just bought a 2008 cobalt ss tc. It comes with the stock pioneer sound system.

While cleaning the previous owners garbage out of the trunk, i notice some extra wires (approximately 14 gauge solid red wire, and 14 gauge non stock speaker wire).

I also noticed there are more then 2 wires connected to each 6x9 (each 6x9 has coloured wires and then black and red wires that have been severed and are connected to nothing) I dont know how to post pics.
Any idea what is happening here? What did the previous owner have going on?

Secondly, my front right speaker is blown. I've purchased new 6.5 components to replace the stock tweeters and front speakers (new speakers are 4 ohms so connecting to stock head unit is probably not a good solution). I plan on purchasing a new amp to power these speakers and possibly the factory 6x9's as well (if they aren't also blown).

Will the stock sub woofer work if the rear 6x9's are disconnected from the factory amp. I have read that the sub and 6x9's are potentially bridged on the stock amp. I would prefer to keep the stock sub on current wiring harness. if this isn't possible then i will connect all speakers to an external amp (including stock sub).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by iammancini; 07-18-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Forum Regular

they may have had tried to connect a line driver to the 6 x 9 s prolly didnt work if they did, i'm not sure if you want to remove the factory amp tho, seems to be more trouble than its worth, you can disconnect the rear speakers and the sub will still work as long as u disconnect at the speaker.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the response. After i posted i figured id just try disconnecting the speakers and see if the sub still worked and of course it did.

I bought an amp on the weekend, so my plan is to keep the stock amp in place and add a second amp that will for now power only the front components. 6x9 and stock sub will remain with stock amp.

Wont be installing till i purchase the required harnesses and a new deck.

Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular

Sometimes adding a 2nd amp to these cars causes issues when connecting the remote wire, it causes the stock amp to stop getting enough power, just something to keep in mind.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I plan on adding my second amp only when I have an aftermarket deck which should have its own dedicated remote wire. I assume the stock amp wouldn't use the dedicated remote wire of the aftermarket deck. Is that correct?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Forum Regular

i can't give you a technical explanation, but i have seen ppl have issues trying to run a 2nd amp, and yes it does have a dedicated remote wire but the factory amp is still receiving signal too thru your cars harness. I'm just pointing this out in case you run into the issue, u will prolly be just fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

i appreciate the input.
i just ordered the GMOS-lan-04.

gonna look for the PAC module then save some money to get a double din.
ill let you know how it works out (not that anyone really cares lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode