Do I Need an Amp? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Do I Need an Amp?

I recently installed a Pioneer FH-X720BT head unit and I am a few days away from getting a set of Kicker KS components for the front speakers in my 09 LT. The speakers are rated at 2-125 RMS and the head unit only puts out 14.

Am I going to damage my speakers by not feeding them enough power?

Does anyone have experience with these speakers? Am I going to need a sub woofer as well?

Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
You can't damage speakers with a good clean low power signal. That being said, amp those suckers. They'll sound 10x better at 125Wrms than at 14. I don't know how well (truthfully) Kicker rates their products, but I'll bet they can handle at least 100Wrms without much trouble.

The reason people say under-powering speakers damages them is not because the speakers need a certain amount of power, it's that people overdrive the internal amp in the head unit which sends a dirty clipping signal to the speakers. Clipping destroys speakers. Same goes for subwoofers.

If you amp them, you may not need a sub. My rockford components can get almost anyone by without subs. That being said, my rockfords retail at 799 USD, not really worth that IMO, but there you go.

Get the speakers set up with an amp, then decide if you want a sub or not.

2007 Cobalt Ls Manual Coupe
Kenwood Excelon X996, RF T3 Components, RF Power 6x9s, Sundown Audio SA10, RF Power T600.4, Alpine MRP-1000, Kinetic HC-1800, Black headlights, FX-R HID 55W, Custom led tail lights, Led reverse lights, Airbox mod.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cool thanks for the advice. Now to decide if I want a 2 channel for the speakers or if I want to make the investment in something with 3 or more channels for future add ons. Decisions... decisions.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So I went ahead and installed the matching Kicker KS 6x9's in the rear deck.

I was getting a lot of rattle so I bought asome fatmat rattle trap and covered the rear deck, the trunk lid, and the driver side door so far.

(BTW does anyone know where I can get the carpet liner for the trunk lid? I never noticed that I didn't have it.)

I've decided I need an amp. For sure. But I'm having trouble deciding which one I want...

I'm looking for something to match or exceed the 125 RMS that the speakers can handle. I have been looking at the Alpine MDX-F6. It's expensive but looks very nice and I can trust Alpine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Class D amp for mids and highs? For $50 more you could get a RF T800-4AD, which is IMO a much better amp. I have the T600.4 and I love it. It's a Class AB so the sound will be much cleaner than a Class D.

I also don't think you need that much amp really though, and you could blow the speakers with just a little too much gain. Those speakers get their '125wrms' rating, not by playing a tone to determine 'real' rms, but by playing music at that level. Sure you won't be playing a single tone, but the spec. is diminished just a hair by rating it that way.

If you're going to spend that kind of money on the amp, the speakers should be higher quality also.

My $0.02

Kenwood Excelon X996, RF T3 Components, RF Power 6x9s, Sundown Audio SA10, RF Power T600.4, Alpine MRP-1000, Kinetic HC-1800, Black headlights, FX-R HID 55W, Custom led tail lights, Led reverse lights, Airbox mod.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I am brand new to this stuff just trying to read up online.

Can I get a few suggestions on amps to consider?

The Alpine mdx was just the first one I looked at.

Infinity Kappa K4?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Really depends on the budget. How much do you want to spend? Cause you can get a focal amp that will only do 50wrms x4 channel that costs $1K, or you can get a boss or dual amp that can do '5000w peak*' for $50. There are both extremes.

*Read: Bullsh--.*

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I want the amp to be the one piece of equipment that I don't have to replace if/when I upgrade my speakers. I want it to be a product that will last a long time and give me some real nice sound quality with the speakers I have now or better ones in the future.

I don't want gimmicky nonsense. I don't mind spending my money when I know it is a worthwhile purchase.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
As long as you go with a name brand manufacturer you should be good as far as quality and reliability go. I personally like RF because that's what I have and what I have is great. I also have an alpine sub amp that outperforms its rated specs all the time. You probably will not need anything over 150WRMS into 4 ch. for any 'normal' door speaker install. If you ever plan to do custom work, then you may need more, but it's taken me 10yrs of car audio love to want to get to that point. My next vehicle will probably get around 3K worth of audio stuff to satiate my need for great clean power. I've got around 1500 in this system, and it's not enough anymore.

So go with something that will work with what you have now, then if you get the itch to upgrade, you'll know what you want to improve and what you need to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode