New Setup - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New Setup

Hey guys I'm about to start buidling my box for my new setup and I was gonna ask for some advice. First of all, my new system is gonna be 2 Kicker 12" L7's in a large ported box powered by a Hifonics 2006d amp with a Kinetik 800A power cell. Now that I've said that I've had plenty of subs in the trunk before and I really just haven't been pleased with the results and the gap to put a box through is extremely aggrevating. My new thought was to take out my back seat since I don't drive anybody besides my girl around and put a big ported box back there. I was wondering if anybody has any input on if thats a good idea or not and also whether I should have the subs facing the backs of the seats or straight up at the roof. I would assume either way it would be loud but I figure if I'm gonna do I might as well do it right. Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.... Thanks Justin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
mind4engineering

if you replace your back seat with a sub box, please please please make it fiberglass and follow the interior contours, i wouldnt fire them directly into the cabin at all, you will kill yourself, fire them into the trunk and cut a "port" into the rear deck, and be prepared to wrestle with the rear deck noises (vibrations against the rear window, and various other things)

good luck

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Hmm ok thanks a lot, I've always respected your opinion so thats very helpful, just 2 questions. First of all, firing into the cabin would kill me? How do trucks do it then? and Secondly, since it seems like the backseat may not be the best place do you have any ideas, I really want the L7's in there but they just have fitment issues with my trunk like none other. The only thing i can really think of is having em face upwards in my trunk but I have no experience with that and didn't know if it would sound loud since you wouldn't get the waves bouncing off of the trunk...Also couldnt that damage your speakers in your rear deck, granted I will have my back seat down, but still....Idk anything you can tell me is great.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 PM
mind4engineering

well your dealing with L7s, and if you fire those right into your back/head, you will most likley have pains, head-aches, and possibly an uncontrolable bowel, lol

trucks do it by keeping the volume down lol, and getting OUT of the vehicle. IMO, that much bass is overkill unless you intend to compete. I find the acoustics in the cobalt to be prety bad. and if your running that much bass in a 'sealed' trunk, you can prety much kiss you rear deck speakers goodbye, heck, even with lower power setups it distorts the rear deck speakers, folding down the back seat may help your read deck speakers...
if you want to fire them up, i say try it, remove the rear deck speakers, keep the back seats up, and amp your door speakers. heck, i may even try that one

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

K good points, I'll have to try something cuz I have a 4 channel powering my front and rear speakers so if i took the rear ones out i could give the front more power, I just wouldn't have that fill sound...Hmm I dont know, I guess its back to the drawing board or possibly just a lot of tylenol lol. Thanks for your help, let me know if you try any of that and I couldn't agree with the cobalt having bad acoustics anymore...very disappointed, it takes 2 Kicker CVX's in my balt to equal 2 Alpine Type E's in my buddies cavalier. Not fair at all lol.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Newcomer

If you are wanting to keep the rear speakers, then I would suggest getting a set of baffles to isolate them from the bass. They help tremendously at keeping the distortion down when using subwoofers. They can be found Here...XTC 6"x9" Speaker Baffles Protect your speakers at Crutchfield.com

Hey...I'm a noob again!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
mind4engineering

i got some of those foam baffles for my fronts, THEY SUCK, cuz they flex and can end up vibrating against the back of the speaker and sound like AZZ

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Forum Regular

im also goin with these speakers also but with a legacy 4000 watt amp and 8 farad capacitor..i was also wondering about a box forthe trunk due too the small opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode