Crossover Positioning in a 2005 Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Smile Crossover Positioning in a 2005 Cobalt

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm installing Clarion Componant speakers and I've put the tweeter in and that was fine but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where I should mount the cross-over. Do i mount it directly on the inside of the metal door panel or on the plastic cover door panel mount???

Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Newcomer

I have always out the crossover under the dash somewhere, one on each side, so that I could reach them whenever I wanted to make any adjustments. I would hate to have to take my door apart if I wanted to adjust any part of the crossover! I have seen people put them in the doors by sticking them with adhesive to the inside of the door, I've even seen people put them in ziplock bags and drop them into the inside of the door. Whatever works I guess!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

so what would be the best solution. Where would you put them in your dash? My door panel comes off easy now that i figured it out. I don't think ziplock bags is the best option. where under the dash?

greg_paiste added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Im GAY! Just thought you should know you were talking to a GAY man!

greg_paiste added 1 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

omit the previous message, that was a dumb obnoxious friend.

Last edited by greg_paiste; 01-15-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Newcomer

are you using head unit power for the components? Hopefully you're running an amp, keep the xovers with the amp and run better wire. I haven't gotten under my dash yet so i don't know the space involved, you could put them under the seats and make them only visible/workable if you have the seats all the way forward.

just don't put them inside the door, too much moisture.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Newcomer

Yeah the ziplock bag in the door isn't a great option, I was joking around, in fact when we saw that during a speaker install we all had a good laugh!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

wouldn't putting the crossovers under the seat require to much wire going to the speakers? also would there be any need for the cross over for my clarions if my cobalt already has a separate tweeter and woofer. wouldn't the stock speakers alreadly have a cross over for them?? I will be using my power from my head unit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Newcomer

gm only usually puts a capacitor inline on the tweets (thats what they were in my olds alero) who knows what frequency that would be??? could be too high could be to low. they might sound good but maybe not. Do you have the 7 speaker stereo option with the stock amp?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I have the upgraded Pioneer sound system with the 10" sub in the back. Don't know where the amp is though not under the seat. Probably wired somewhere. Can't take off the fuse connected to the sub because that sets off the car alarm. I'm guess the amp runs the sub as well as all the speakers and cd player that was in there. any suggestions.
my clarion tweeters sound great with out the cross over but I WILL still install the clarion cross overs as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Newcomer

I don't have any pictures just yet, but my buddy and I installed a pair of polk audio speakers in the front, 6.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter, we mounted the tweeter between the door handle and the dash, it looks good. as far as the crossover, if you lift up on the plastic piece on the floor right below the doors, they come up (with those annoying metal clips) its a pretty long piece with a large piece that coems up also under the dash, under that large piece is plenty of space to put the crossovers (thats where my passenger side one is) we tried it for the drivers side, but for some reason you would hear engine noise regarless of the stereo being on or not, so we put the crossover in the dash with a zip tie and that solved the problem. when I get off of work tomorrow I'll take some pictures if you want
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

That would be good if you could supply some pics.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode