Aftermarket Radio Install Questions. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Aftermarket Radio Install Questions.

Hello everyone, I am new to this site my first post. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have been searching and have be unable to come up with an answer either here or on the other cobalt ss site.

I have a 2007 LT cobalt, 5 speed base model. No pioneer/No OnStar.

My questions are, I am installing a Kenwood DDX672BH. It has variable illumination adjustments already. When I install the radio I plain on using the proper harness and all the needed hardware to do it. I want to retain as much of factory as I possibly can.

So to my question will I be able to retain the factory illumination or will it be gone and I have to use the radio's settings? The radio's harness has an input illumination wire that will auto dim if hooked up.

I am also installing new speakers all the way around. I am interested in installing the baffles due to not wanting to ruin a bran new pair of speaker to water. The question is what is the rite baffle depth?

I know it has to fit the depth of the speaker but I don't want to run the risk of them being to deep and not fitting properly.

Also what are your opinion's on cutting out a section of the baffle yah or nay on the hole for better sound or cupped?

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you're using a factory hookup harness (to retain door chimes/turn signal sound), there should be a lead on there for the dimmer. It'll dim along with the rest of the interior lights, just like the factory unit does.

As far as speaker baffles go: don't bother. The only reason the factory speakers go out is because they're a paper cone. Aftermarket speakers will be fine. Not to mention, the baffles absolutely demolish bass response - something you do not want.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Initiate

Make sure to check the new harness before you buy it because the one that I bought didn't retain the dimmer. And I second to not put in baffles, what I did was to cut the old speakers out of the plastic that they're in and fit the speaker right into the old one. Youll know what I mean when you have your door apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode